Hollywood, California – August 8, 2012 – Celebrating their 50th Anniversary this year, The Beach Boys have performed more than 50 concerts since April and had their highest-ever debut on Billboard’s albums chart last month with their critically acclaimed new studio release, That’s Why God Made The Radio. The Beach Boys’ 50th Anniversary Tour recently concluded its North American run and is now underway in Europe, and the legendary band is pleased to announce plans for the CD and digital release of two new commemorative hits collections by Capitol/EMI on September 24th outside of North America and on October 9th in North America. 12 remastered Beach Boys studio albums will also be released by Capitol/EMI on September 24th outside of North America and on September 25th in North America.
The Beach Boys’ new 50th Anniversary Greatest Hits collection features 20 of the band’s most popular songs, including “California Girls,” “Good Vibrations,” “Surfin’ U.S.A.,” “Wouldn’t It Be Nice,” “God Only Knows,” “Kokomo,” their latest single “That’s Why God Made The Radio,” and many more.
A deluxe, career-spanning 2CD box and digital collection titled Greatest Hits: 50 Big Ones will also be released, featuring 50 Beach Boys favorites, including two songs from the band’s new album -- the title track “That’s Why God Made The Radio” and a new single version of “Isn’t It Time,” which will be serviced to radio in September. The 2CD lift-top box package also includes an expanded booklet with newly written liner notes by Rolling Stone contributing editor David Wild and seven postcards.
The 12 Beach Boys studio albums have been digitally remastered by Mark Linett and will be released on CD and digitally, most featuring mono and stereo mixes. The albums are: Surfin’ U.S.A.; Surfer Girl; Little Deuce Coupe; Shut Down, Volume 2; All Summer Long; The Beach Boys Today!; Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!); Beach Boys Party!; Pet Sounds; Smiley Smile; Sunflower (stereo mix only); and Surf’s Up (stereo mix only). These releases mark the stereo debut of Smiley Smile and Beach Boys Party!, while The Beach Boys Today! and Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!) are being released in stereo for the first time in their entirety. The new releases include the first-ever stereo mixes of several key Beach Boys classics, including “Good Vibrations,” “Help Me, Rhonda,” “I Get Around,” and “409,” among others.
On September 18th, The GRAMMY Museum in Los Angeles will launch a special Beach Boys 50th Anniversary exhibit with ‘An Evening With The Beach Boys,’ a public event featuring a Q&A and acoustic performance by Brian Wilson, Mike Love, Al Jardine, Bruce Johnston, and David Marks (www.grammymuseum.org).
A career-spanning Beach Boys 50th Anniversary box set is planned for release later this year by Capitol/EMI. Details about the special commemorative release will be announced soon.
Beach Boys Brian Wilson, Mike Love, Al Jardine, Bruce Johnston, and David Marks have reunited this year for a major, international 50th Anniversary Tour and That’s Why God Made The Radio, the first studio album of new, original Beach Boys songs to feature all of the band’s surviving original members since 1989’s Still Cruisin’. Produced by Brian Wilson and executive produced by Mike Love, the album debuted at #3 on Billboard’s Albums chart and has been received with great excitement and praise from the world’s leading media outlets and fans old and new. In recent reviews, Rolling Stone hailed the album as “a breezy nostalgia trip” and “deeply touching work,” People magazine praised its “intricately layered, swoon-worthy harmonies,” and the Associated Press said, “The songs harken back to a simpler time when people wore Huarache sandals, polished their surfboards, and raced their hot rods.”
For five decades, America’s first pop band to reach the 50 year milestone has recorded and performed the music that has become the world’s favorite soundtrack to summer. Founded in Hawthorne, California in 1961, The Beach Boys were originally comprised of the three teenaged Wilson brothers: Brian, Carl and Dennis, their cousin Mike Love, and school friend Al Jardine. In 1962, neighbor David Marks joined the group for their first wave of hits with Capitol Records, leaving in late 1963, and in 1965, Bruce Johnston joined the band when Brian Wilson retired from touring to focus on writing and producing for the group.
The Beach Boys signed with Capitol Records in July 1962 and released their first album, Surfin’ Safari, that same year. The album spent 37 weeks on the Billboard chart, launching the young group known for its shimmering vocal harmonies and relaxed California style into international stardom. The Wilson/Love collaboration resulted in many huge international chart hits, and under Brian Wilson’s musical leadership, the band’s initial surf-rock focus was soon broadened to include other themes, making The Beach Boys America’s preeminent band of the 1960s.
In 1966, The Beach Boys were one of the first bands to found its own record label with the launch of Brother Records, Inc. (BRI), with the band’s members as its shareholders and Capitol Records as its distribution partner. BRI continues to manage The Beach Boys’ intellectual property, including the band’s catalog with Capitol/EMI and other label partners, as well as its name, logos, image and likeness.
The Beach Boys continue to hold Billboard / Nielsen SoundScan’s record as the top-selling American band for albums and singles, and they are also the American group with the most Billboard Top 40 chart hits (36). ‘Sounds Of Summer: The Very Best Of The Beach Boys’ has achieved triple-Platinum sales status, and ‘The SMiLE Sessions,’ released to worldwide critical acclaim in November, was heralded as 2011’s #1 Reissue of the Year by Rolling Stone magazine.
Inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1988 and recipients of The Recording Academy’s Lifetime Achievement GRAMMY Award, The Beach Boys are an American institution that is iconic around the world.
The Beach Boys: Greatest Hits [CD, digital]
1. That's Why God Made The Radio 11. I Get Around
2. California Girls 12. Fun, Fun, Fun
3. Sloop John B 13. Be True to Your School
4. Wouldn't It Be Nice 14. Dance, Dance, Dance
5. Surfer Girl 15. All Summer Long
6. Do It Again 16. Help Me, Rhonda
7. Surfin' Safari 17. Rock And Roll Music
8. Surfin' U.S.A. 18. God Only Knows
9. Don't Worry Baby 19. Good Vibrations
10. Little Deuce Coupe 20. Kokomo
The Beach Boys ‘Greatest Hits: 50 Big Ones’ [2CD, digital]
1. California Girls [Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!)]
2. Do It Again [20/20]
3. Surfin' Safari [Surfin' Safari]
4. Catch a Wave [Surfer Girl]
5. Little Honda [All Summer Long]
6. Surfin' U.S.A. [Surfin’ USA]
7. Surfer Girl [Surfer Girl]
8. Don't Worry Baby [Shut Down, Vol. 2]
9. Little Deuce Coupe [Surfer Girl]
10. Shut Down [Surfin' USA]
11. I Get Around [All Summer Long]
12. The Warmth of the Sun [Shut Down, Vol. 2]
13. Please Let Me Wonder [The Beach Boys Today!]
14. Wendy [All Summer Long]
15. Getcha Back [The Beach Boys]
16. The Little Girl I Once Knew [non-LP single, 1965]
17. When I Grow Up (To Be a Man) [The Beach Boys Today!]
18. It's OK [15 Big Ones]
19. Dance, Dance, Dance [The Beach Boys Today!]
20. Do You Wanna Dance [The Beach Boys Today!]
21. Rock And Roll Music [15 Big Ones]
22. Barbara Ann [Beach Boys Party!]
23. All Summer Long [All Summer Long]
24. Help Me, Rhonda [Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!)]
25. Fun, Fun, Fun [Shut Down, Vol. 2]
1. Kokomo [‘Cocktail’ Motion Picture Soundtrack]
2. You’re So Good To Me [Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!)]
3. Wild Honey [Wild Honey]
4. Darlin' [Wild Honey]
5. In My Room [Surfer Girl]
6. All This Is That [Carl and the Passions “So Tough”]
7. This Whole World [Sunflower]
8. Add Some Music To Your Day [Sunflower]
9. California Saga (On My Way to Sunny Californ-I-A) [Holland]
10. I Just Wasn’t Made For These Times [Pet Sounds]
11. Sail on, Sailor [Holland]
12. Surf's Up [Surf's Up]
13. Friends [Friends]
14. Heroes and Villains [Smiley Smile]
15. I Can Hear Music [20/20]
16. Good Timin' [L.A. (Light Album)]
17. Isn't It Time (single version) [That’s Why God Made The Radio]
18. Kiss Me, Baby [The Beach Boys Today!]
19. Caroline No [Pet Sounds]
20. That's Why God Made The Radio [That’s Why God Made The Radio]
21. Forever [Sunflower]
22. God Only Knows [Pet Sounds]
23. Sloop John B [Pet Sounds]
24. Wouldn't It Be Nice [Pet Sounds]
25. Good Vibrations [Smiley Smile]