Eleiko has undertaken a significant energy optimisation project at the company’s HQ offices in Halmstad, Sweden resulting in a 90% reduction in CO2 emissions from building energy consumption and a 21% reduction in overall energy consumption.
“In 2018 we have been successful in advancing a number of sustainability actions including investing in a CO2-neutral headquarters, commencing our migration to electrical cars and driving environmentally-friendly initatives throughout our supply chain. Working proactively for reducing our environmental impact is a long-term and continuous responsibility that the entire company is strongly committed to.” - Erik Blomberg, CEO Eleiko
The recent project involved a complete analysis of the energy system at the corporate offices and assessed the heating and power usage, discovering ways to improve systems to lower CO2 emissions and energy consumption.
Several energy-reduction actions have been taken as a result:
- Installation of a new more energy-efficient ventilation unit.
- Upgrade to a smart heating system with centralized monitoring to optimize energy usage.
- Change of all lighting equipment to LED lighting.
- Tuning of all radiators and air heaters to minimize waste.
Furthermore, additional energy savings have been identified in relation to the gates in the production and warehouse buildings and new hatchways will be installed during 2019.
We are dedicated to identifying opportunities in our processes, product development and our supply chain where we can do more to protect and contribute to a healthy environment and promote sustainable practices. Working closely with HEM, our district heating provider, we have created a system that will be CO2 neutral. All systems will be connected and remotely controlled from HEM, to operate in symbiosis and remotely optimized.
As part of the project Eleiko signed an agreement to purchase 100% “Green Electricity” or CO2 neutral electricity.
Results of the optimization:
- Decrease in CO2 emissions from building energy consumption from 63 tons/year to 6 tons/year. This is equal to a 90% reduction.
- Energy consumption will be reduced by 245 MWh (yearly), which amounts to a 21% saving of Eleiko’s total energy consumption.
- A positive financial impact, saving an estimated 155 000 SEK per year ($17,000 USD).
Eleiko is committed to being socially responsible and sustainable. Doing our part to take care of the environment is integral to living up to our values and realizing our vision of building A Stronger World. Embracing sustainability initiatives expands our focus beyond physical strength and human potential.