With so many options and subjects in hand, students often feel puzzled while deciding the path to choose for their lifetime career. Choosing a career correctly is very important as it is the profession or the career that has a great impact on lifestyle, earning and satisfaction of a person.
This confused situation can be eased out with the help of “Career Consultants” who can help in guiding with informed suggestions about different courses and different career options that a person can take up. If you are interested to be such a career consultant, read on further to know more about this interesting profession.
Career consultants guide people to select a career option based on their skills, interests and calibre. The role of these professionals is all about being responsible as a guide and a mentor. Thus, there are a few qualities that are necessary for selecting your profession as a career consultant.
• Confidence: Only when a career consultant is confident, people who are seeking help will feel comfortable. So, a consultant needs to be sure of what he or she is doing and saying. His/her words should be so power packed that people are convinced about the suggestion or idea. At the same time, the person should not be dominating, as this would make it difficult for the clients to discuss their concerns and thoughts freely. There needs to be a proper balance between being approachable, yet not too casual.
• Amicability: If the consultant is full of attitude, or has a high and mighty approach, then the customers will not be at ease. The consultant needs to be friendly and approachable so that within a few minutes time, the person seeking advice is able to open up to him/her.
• Patience: Sometimes people want to be heard. Career consultants should be good listeners. It is important to understand that unless they hear out what the other person has to say, he/ she will not be able to understand their strength and weakness to help them out.
• Knowledgeable: Many people are unaware of various careers that are now growing at a fast pace. Unknowingly they may be good at something that may be a good career move. A consultant needs to be aware of such options so that the clients may benefit from these. Without current information, the counselor would be doing injustice to the person seeking help and might even be stopping him/her from venturing into lucrative fields.
• Truthful: It is important for a career consultant to be honest while giving feedback to a person. Just because the client is paying up, does not mean that the client will say things that impress the person. This way he/she will not only lose credibility, but will soon be out of business.
• Affordable: It is extremely important to charge money on the basis of the services provided. The charges must be moderate and should not be sky high. Career consultants are part of a grooming process and they are there only to show the way. They do not need to do the hand holding to lead their clients to success. So the charges should not be sky high and should be in accordance to the services offered.