Record year for Stockholm Arlanda AirportJan 05, 2012 14:05 CET
StockholmArlandaAirportis growing in importance forSweden. In 2011, 19.1 million passengers flew into or out of the airport. There have been major changes in comparison with the previous record year of 2000. Today air traffic consists to a much greater extent of foreign connections, and the greatest growth in passengers is in the form of foreign visitors toSweden.
“Stockholm Arlanda isSweden’s link to the world. Through us, meetings are created between cultures, business contacts and people. Naturally, it is important for all ofSwedenthat the conditions for this development remain favourable,” says Kjell-Åke Westin, airport director ofStockholmArlandaAirport.
There has been a total increase of 800,000 annual passengers since 2000. Increased international traffic of 2.8 million passengers accounts for this rise, while domestic traffic was down 2 million passengers. One million of the airport’s domestic passengers were moved to Bromma Stockholm, with the result being a 14 per cent net decrease in domestic travel to and fromStockholm’s airports. Some 2.6 million international passengers were foreign visitors coming toSweden. Among the reasons thought to account for the growth are a sharp increase in tourism, a more internationalised business climate and sharp growth in the Swedish economy, which has strengthened the position ofSweden’s Mälardalen region inScandinavia.
While the number of passengers rose, the number of aircraft taking off and landing decreased from 279,000 to 179,000. As a result, the average number of passengers per aircraft increased from 65 to 97, leading to a decrease above all in carbon dioxide emissions per passenger.
- Since 2000, the number of annual passengers has increased by 800,000.
- International traffic has increased by 2.8 million passengers while domestic traffic has fallen by 2 million.
- Among international passengers, 2.6 million are linked to the increase in foreign visitors.
- The share of international passengers increased from 63 to 75 per cent during the period.
- The share of passengers not residing inSwedenon an international flight increased from 32 to 44 per cent during the period.
- The number of aircraft movements decreased y 30 per cent, from 279,000 to 197,000.
- The average number of passengers per flight increased from 65 to 97.
- In terms of destinations, German destinations in particular experienced significant growth; Frankfurt,MunichandBerlinall show strong increases.
- In addition, the destinations ofBarcelona, Antalaya andIstanbulhave increased their passenger numbers many times over.BangkokandViennaare other notable examples that have doubled their passenger numbers.
- On April 1, 2012, it will be 50 years since Stockholm Arlanda was officially inaugurated.