MOUNTAIN VIEW (January 5, 2010) - Google Inc. (NASDAQ: GOOG) today unveiled a new way forconsumers to purchase an Android mobile phone, a web store hosted by Google. The company is alsolaunching the first phone offered through this new model, called the Nexus One, which combines thelatest in hardware from HTC Corporation with the newest Android software.
The goal of Google's new consumer channel is to provide an efficient way to connect Google's onlineusers with selected Android phones. The online experience of the web store has been designed with afocus on simplicity.Through the web store found at www.google.com/phone, consumers can buy the Nexus One withoutservice (meaning any GSM network SIM card can be inserted into the device), or purchase the phonewith service from one of Google's operator partners. As new phones come to market through thischannel, consumers will benefit from the ability to match a phone of their choice with the service plan thatbest meets their needs. Operator prices and plan details will be featured on the site.
"The Nexus One belongs in the emerging class of devices which we call ‘superphones,’ with the 1GHzQualcomm Snapdragon™ chipset making it as powerful as your laptop computer of three to four yearsago. It's our way to raise the bar on what's possible when it comes to creating the best mobile experiencefor consumers," said Andy Rubin, VP of Engineering. "We look forward to working with handsetmanufacturers and operators to bring more phones to market through this channel worldwide."
Nexus One Hardware Features
• Display: 3.7" AMOLED 480x800 WVGA display
• Thinness: 11.5mm; Weight: 130g
• Processor/Speed: Qualcomm Snapdragon™ 3G QSD8250 chipset, delivering speeds up to1GHz
• Camera: 5 megapixel auto focus with flash and geo tagging• Onboard memory: 512MB Flash, 512MB RAM
• Expandable memory: 4GB removable SD Card (expandable to 32GB)• Noise Suppression: Dynamic noise suppression from Audience, Inc.
• Ports: 3.5mm stereo headphone jack with four contacts for inline voice and remote control
• Battery: Removable 1400 mAh
• Personalized laser engraving: Up to 50 characters on the back of the phone
• Trackball: Tri-color notification LED, alerts when new emails, chats, text messages arrive
"The Nexus One represents the unique combination of design and innovation two companies like Googleand HTC can have when they collaborate," said Peter Chou, CEO of HTC Corporation. "The Nexus Onecontinues HTC’s strategy of offering people a portfolio of phones that meet their diverse needs."
Nexus One Software InnovationThe Nexus One runs on Android 2.1, a version of the platform's Eclair software, which offers advancedapplications and features including:
• Google Maps Navigation: offering turn-by-turn driving directions with voice output.
• Email: multiple Gmail accounts; universal inbox and Exchange support.
• Phone book: aggregate contacts from multiple sources, including Facebook®.
• Quick Contacts: easily switch between communication and social applications.
• Android Market: access to more than 18,000 applications.In addition, the Nexus One introduces new functionality and software enhancements:
• Enter text without typing.◦ Use a voice-enabled keyboard for all text fields: speak a text message, instantmessage, tweet, Facebook update, or complete an email.
• Tell your phone what you want it to do.◦ Search Google, call contacts, or get driving directions by just speaking into your phone.
• Take personalization to the next level.◦ Dynamic, interactive, live wallpapers react to the touch of a finger.◦ More widgets and five home screen panels allow for further device customization.
• Capture camera-quality pictures and video with your device.◦ 5 megapixel camera includes LED flash, auto focus, zoom, white balance and coloreffects.◦ View pictures and Picasa Web Albums in the new 3D Gallery.◦ Record Hi-Res MPEG4 video, and then upload to YouTube with one click.
• Read your voicemail messages.◦ Get transcribed voicemail with Google Voice integration, without changing your number.
Pricing, Availability, and Future PlansNexus One is initially available from the Google web store in the US without service for $529 or starting at$179 with a two-year contract from T-Mobile USA. In the near future, Verizon Wireless in the US andVodafone in Europe plan to offer services to customers in their respective geographies. Today,consumers can go to www.google.com/phone to learn about the Nexus One and place an order. We will initially take orders from consumers in the US and three other markets – the UK, Singapore, and HongKong.
In the coming months Google plans on partnering with additional operators, offering consumers access toa broad set of service plans. In the future we expect to launch more phones with Android handsetpartners and to expand the web store to more countries.
About Google Inc.
Google's innovative search technologies connect millions of people around the world with informationevery day. Founded in 1998 by Stanford Ph.D. students Larry Page and Sergey Brin, Google today is atop web property in all major global markets. Google's targeted advertising program provides businessesof all sizes with measurable results, while enhancing the overall web experience for users. Google isheadquartered in Silicon Valley with offices throughout the Americas, Europe and Asia.
For moreinformation, visit www.google.com.
Google Press Centerpress@google.com+1.650.930.3555
For more information on the Nexus One, including images and video, please visit our press site: https://sites.google.com/a/pressatgoogle.com/nexusone/home
Google, Nexus One, Android, Google Maps, Gmail, Google Voice, YouTube are trademarks of GoogleInc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of the companies with which they areassociated.Facebook® is a registered trademark of Facebook Inc.