GWP is sending a delegation to the UNFCCC Conference that is meeting in Cancun, Mexico 29th of November to the 10th of December (COP 16). GWP will be involved in various events and will advocate for the pivotal role of water in climate change adaptation.
GWP will be represented by delegates from Africa, Central America, China and the Mediterranean, with GWP Chair Dr Letitia A Obeng as the head of the delegation.
- The 1st of December will mark the beginning of GWP involvement with events such as:
- Panels on Floods, Droughts, and Water, Food and Energy
- The culminating point of the day for GWP will be the Panel on IWRM and NAPAs. This panel debate will draw on the knowledge of experts involved in the development of IWRM plans and NAPAs to identify win-win opportunities for strengthening the development and implementation of these plans, see programme.
- The 6th of December, Letitia A Obeng will moderate a joint Side Event with the Water and Climate Coalition and the Böll Foundation "Water Climate and Development: Linking up Development Agendas and Putting Water Security First", see programme. Mr. Alex Simalabwi will participate in the UNFCCC Meeting on Nairobi Work Programme of which GWP is a partner.
- The 7th of December, GWP will arrange an event for the GWP Africa/ AMCOW.
- On the 8th of December, the final event for GWP will be the High Level Event on Water and Climate. Delegates will present the key political messages coming from the first week of the Dialogues for Water and Climate (D4WCC) and will reinforce the political commitment needed for water-based adaptation to climate change. GWP was requested to participate in various Panels at these dialogues.
GWP delegates will be also participating in a selection of UNFCCC accredited side events related to finance and adaptation. There will also be a GWP Exhibit.
The COP16 website: www.cc2010.mx/en/