The Central Post Office building in Copenhagen, which is over 100 years old, is to be developed into a first class hotel. The 25,000 m2 building will be a unifying element in the centre of the new district being developed in that area of the city. The hotel is set to open in 2020.
The impressive neo-baroque building, designed by architect Heinrich Wenck, has housed the Danish Post Office (Post Nord) for over a hundred years. However, as Post Nord recently moved their operations to another location, Petter A Stordalen saw a chance to give the old building a new purpose.
- When I heard that the Post Office building was for sale, I thought that it would be a perfect place for a hotel. The postal service is all about communication between people. That’s why I love the idea that the Central Post Office building will now be resurrected, like a phoenix, in the shape of a hotel, says Petter A Stordalen, owner and chairman of Nordic Choice Hotels, which will run the hotel venture.
The hotel will be located in the heart of Copenhagen - right beside the Central Station and Tivoli Gardens. The whole area around the Central Post Office building will be transformed into a completely new city district with businesses, shopping, restaurants and dwellings for both Copenhagen residents and visitors. The Central Post Office building is the area's first visible sign of the transformation that awaits.
- The developments in this city district are some of the most exciting events taking place in Copenhagen at the moment. The goal is to build a hotel that will be one of Copenhagen's best, in the centre of a new district for culture, transport, food, business and shopping. The hotel simply could not get any more central. Our ambition is to put our stamp on the cityscape and on the urban development that is happening in the area, says Stordalen.
An independent hotel
Central Post Office building in Copenhagen will become an independent hotel, just like Skt. Petri in central Copenhagen, The Thief in Oslo or At Six and Hobo in Stockholm. The only thing these hotels have in common is that they become destinations in themselves and distinguish themselves through their unique history, which is reflected in the interior design and artwork. The hotel will have about 380 rooms on three floors. The hotel will also have a section for conferences and wellness, as well as five different restaurants and bars.
- Each hotel we develop is created for a discerning target group, with the history, the building itself and the flavour of the surrounding area as a starting point. Now we start the exciting process of concept development. The only thing we know for certain is that we want to create a modern, first-class hotel with the ultimate in design, art, decor, gastronomy and service, says Torgeir Silseth, CEO of Nordic Choice Hotels.
Facts about the hotel
- Opens in 2020,
- 380 rooms,
- A hall of 1200 m2 with conference facilities and a wellness centre,
- Five different restaurants and bars, including a wine and cocktail bar and a brasserie.
Nordic Choice Hotels är en av Nordens största hotellkoncerner med 190 hotell och 13 000 anställda i Skandinavien och Baltikum. Företaget marknadsför kedjorna Comfort, Quality Hotel och Clarion Hotel, samt 20 fristående hotell. Samtliga hotell är miljöcertifierade enligt ISO 14001.