AMD Launches World’s Most Powerful Workstation Graphics Line - Provides Unmatched Improvements in Productivity and Workflow
– New AMD FirePro™ W9000, W8000, W7000 and W5000 Workstation Graphics Cards are Optimized and Certified for Leading Professional Software Applications to Deliver Exceptional Graphics Experiences to the Workstation Market –
SUNNYVALE, Calif. — August 7, 2012 — Today, AMD (NYSE: AMD) launched its latest line of workstation graphics, leading with the AMD FirePro™ W9000 Graphics Processing Unit - the most powerful workstation graphics card ever created1. The AMD FirePro™ W9000 GPU features incredible compute, increased memory bandwidth and greater multi-display support performance than the competing solution1. Following closely are the AMD FirePro™ W8000, W7000 and W5000 workstation graphics cards, all built on the AMD Graphics Core Next Architecture, and designed to balance compute and 3D workloads efficiently for computer-aided design and engineering, and for media and entertainment (M&E) professionals. The AMD FirePro W9000, W8000, W7000 and W5000 GPUs are optimized and certified for leading software applications enabling users to unleash their creativity by ensuring ultra-high geometry performance. The latest AMD FirePro™ workstation graphics cards can enable smooth handling of complex models and feature dynamic power management that enables great performance and efficient power usage. Using AMD Eyefinity technology, the AMD FirePro W9000, W8000, and W7000 GPUs can drive up to six, 30” independent displays via Multi-Stream Transport (MST) hubs for maximum workspace utilization at ultra-high 4096x2160 resolutions2.
“As professionals work with larger data sets that demand advanced visualization and complex models, they need a graphics solution that is fast, powerful, and reliable,” said Matt Skynner, corporate vice president and general manager of AMD Graphics. “Certified for today’s software applications, the new AMD FirePro workstation graphics cards bring a range of features and capabilities for professionals working in digital signage, broadcast graphics, CAD/CAE and M&E, delivering the ideal balance of power, performance and reliability at the right price point.”
With the latest AMD FirePro workstation graphics offerings, graphics professionals can create more complex models and interact with them in real time, helping improve workflows and boost productivity. Through GCN and GeometryBoost , the state-of-the-art AMD FirePro W9000 workstation GPU delivers a record shattering 1.95 billon triangles per second, which is 1.5 times as great as the competitor’s most powerful workstation graphics card, and up to 83 percent greater memory bandwidth than the competing solution, for outstanding application responsiveness1,3.
“Supermicro is excited to bring the latest generation of AMD FirePro professional graphics cards first to market in our SuperWorkstations,” said Don Clegg, vice president, Marketing and Business Development at Supermicro. “Our SuperWorkstations combined with FirePro deliver phenomenal 3D graphics performance and maximize workflow and productivity. Digital content creation and computer-aided design professionals will be thrilled by the accelerated performance of our combined efforts and upcoming FirePro-based solutions.”
The AMD FirePro™ W8000 workstation GPU, features Error Correcting Code (ECC) memory support and offers category leading dual-precision compute performance, up to 2.2 times as fast as the competing solution4. This helps professionals experience greater accuracy in calculations performed for structural and molecular analysis and computational fluid dynamics without impacting application performance. Not to be outdone, the AMD FirePro™ W7000 workstation GPU is up to five times as fast as the competing solution in single-precision compute performance, while the AMD FirePro™ W5000 workstation GPU is the most powerful mid-range workstation graphics card ever created, delivering significantly better resolution, memory and display output performance than the competing card5,6.
The AMD FirePro W9000, W8000, W7000 and W5000 workstation graphics cards are optimized and certified for leading workstation applications. Additionally, these new AMD FirePro cards support PCI Express® 3.0 and AMD PowerTune and AMD ZeroCore Power technologies for dynamic power management7, 8.
More information on the different models: www.amd.com/us/press-releases/Pages/amd-workstation-graphics-2012aug7.aspx
AMD FirePro W9000, W8000, W7000, W5000 workstation graphics cards are available via AMD resellers and are supported in Supermicro SuperWorkstations. AMD FirePro™ M6000, M4000 and M2000 mobile workstations graphics cards are also available via AMD resellers and are featured in new systems from HP and Dell.
- Learn more about AMD FirePro W9000, W8000, W7000 and W5000 Workstation Graphics Cards
- Visit the AMD FirePro™ Mobile Workstation website for more information
- Learn more about GCN Architecture
- Follow AMD graphics news on Twitter at @AMDFirePro
- Become a fan of AMD technology on Facebook
1. AMD FirePro™ W9000 delivers 3.9936 TFLOPS of single precision and 998.4 GFLOP of double precision floating point performance, features a 384-bit memory interface and delivers 264 GB/s memory bandwidth, and can power up to six displays simultaneously from a single card. Compared to Nvidia Quadro 6000 with 1.03 TFLOPs single precision and 515.2 GFLOPs double precision floating point performance, a 384-bit interface and 144 GB/s memory bandwidth, and is only capable of powering two displays simultaneously from a single card. Visit http://www.nvidia.com/object/product-quadro-6000-us.html for Nvidia product specs. FP-29
2. AMD Eyefinity technology can support up to six DisplayPort displays using a single enabled AMD graphics card. The number of supported displays varies by card model and board design; confirm specifications with the manufacturer before purchase. Additional hardware may be required. Utilizing DisplayPort 1.2 and Multi-Stream technology-enabled displays, connectors and/or hubs, a single graphics card may support up to two more displays than it has display outputs; limit six displays. Microsoft® Windows® 7, Windows Vista®, or Linux® is required to support more than 2 displays; Windows XP is no longer supported. AMD Eyefinity technology works with applications that support non-standard aspect ratios, which is required for panning across multiple displays. SLS (“Single Large Surface”) functionality requires an identical display resolution on all displays. See www.amd.com/firepro or www.amd.com/eyefinity for details.
3. AMD FirePro™ W9000 can support 1.95 billion triangles per second, compared to Nvidia Quadro 6000 supporting 1.3 billion triangles per second. See http://www.nvidia.com/object/product-quadro-6000-us.html. FP-44
4. AMD FirePro™ W8000 features 806 GFLOPs of double precision floating point performance compared to Nvidia Quadro 5000 with 359 GFLOPs per second. Visit http://www.nvidia.com/object/product-quadro-5000-us.html for Nvidia product specs. FP-37
5. AMD FirePro™ W5000 supports DisplayPort 1.2 with a max resolution of 4096x2304, can drive three displays at once, features 2GB GDDR5 memory, a 256-bit memory interface and 102.3 GB/s memory bandwidth. Compared to Nvidia Quadro 2000 supporting DisplayPort 1.1 with a max resolution of 2560x1600, can only drive two displays at once, features 1GB GDDR5 memory, a 128-bit memory interface and 41.6 GB/s memory bandwidth. Visit http://www.nvidia.com/object/product-quadro-2000-us.html for Nvidia product details. FP-41
6. AMD FirePro™ W7000 is capable of 2.4 TFLOPs of single precision floating point performance, compared to Nvidia Quadro 4000 with 486.4 GFLOPS of single precision. Visit http://www.nvidia.com/object/product-quadro-4000-us.html for Nvidia product specs. FP-39
7. Utilization of PCI Express 3.0 bandwidth requires a mainboard equipped with a PCI Express 3.0 PHY. Not all mainboards feature this technology – check with your component or system manufacturer for specific model capabilities.
8. AMD Power Management technologies (e.g. AMD ZeroCore Power technology, AMD Enduro technology and AMD PowerPlay™ technology) are a family of technologies, offered by certain AMD FirePro™ products, which are designed to intelligently reduce or eliminate GPU power consumption in response to certain GPU load conditions. Not all products feature all technologies – check with your component or system manufacturer for specific model capabilities.
AMD (NYSE: AMD) is a semiconductor design innovator leading the next era of vivid digital experiences with its ground-breaking AMD Accelerated Processing Units (APUs) that power a wide range of computing devices. AMD's server computing products are focused on driving industry-leading cloud computing and virtualization environments. AMD's superior graphics technologies are found in a variety of solutions ranging from game consoles, PCs to supercomputers. For more information, visit http://www.amd.com.
AMD, the AMD Arrow logo, FirePro, and combinations thereof, are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Other names are for informational purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners.