Company unveils best-in-class treatment solutions at ASTRO's 50th Annual Meeting
Boston, MA, USA September 19, 2008
Elekta, pioneering significant innovations and clinical solutions for cancer and neurological conditions, today announced new product offerings from the Elekta Group. Topping the list of innovations is Elekta Infinity; the company's most advanced digital linear accelerator, now available to customers in the United States. Elekta Infinity increases speed and precision in delivering Volumetric Modulated Arc Therapy (VMAT), offering patients shortened treatment times with the highest degree of precision.
"Elekta Infinity is redefining conformity and speed of treatment providing physicians with a mechanism to apply their skills to deliver the best possible care to patients," says Tomas Puusepp, President and CEO of Elekta. "The simplicity and flexibility of use of Elekta Infinity allows it to be the leading edge treatment tool in large university settings as well as the department mainstay in community hospital settings. It truly provides the best for both worlds."
In addition to the company's presence at ASTRO, a full product preview will be provided to Elekta customers at the 17th Annual Radiation Oncology Users' Meeting. Expected to draw more than 1,500 attendees, the meeting will focus on optimizing clinical efficiency using Elekta's latest advancements in radiation treatment planning (RTP), VMAT planning and delivery and image-integrated Electronic Medical Records with MOSAIQ® 2.0.
Customers attending the Users Meeting also will be among the first to see the new face and voice of Elekta, as the company introduces its new family of brands unified under the Elekta name: Elekta Oncology, Impac Software, CMS Software and Leksell Stereotaxy.
"Everyone attending ASTRO will see how our family of companies has redefined the boundaries of science and technology to assist clinicians in improving and saving patients' lives," says Joseph K. Jachinowski, President and CEO of Elekta North America. "We want our customers to be the first to know that the Elekta Group is moving forward with a shared vision to deliver clinical advances for improved patient outcomes. We believe that human care makes the future possible."
Other Meeting Highlights
At the 50th Annual ASTRO meeting, Elekta will announce product innovations to improve the planning, workflow management and delivery of radiation therapy, including:
• MOSAIQ® 2.0, a comprehensive oncology charting solution that tracks patients from the moment they enter the cancer center through long-term follow-up. MOSAIQ 2.0 increases process efficiency and facilitates high-quality patient care.
• Monaco*TM VMAT Planning, the next-generation Intensity Modulated Radiotherapy (IMRT) treatment planning system featuring biological modeling, constrained optimization, and Monte Carlo dose calculation algorithms, representing a fundamentally new approach to IMRT.
• Atlas-Based Autosegmentation (ABAS), a software application that produces an estimate of the anatomy boundary contours needed to create a radiation treatment plan. The stand-alone, vendor-neutral product significantly reduces the amount of time spent creating and editing patient contours.
• Extend*TM Program, a complete system for extending the utilization of Leksell Gamma Knife® PerfexionTM enabling clinicians to treat indications previously untreatable with Gamma Knife surgery. The rigid carbon-fiber construction of the Extend frame provides maximum stability, enabling the most accurate, non-invasive localization available.
For additional information, visit elekta.com/ewavelength or elekta.com/evc.
Events Held in Conjunction with ASTRO
Elekta also is hosting the following educational seminars and events:
• Saturday, September 20, 17th Annual Radiation Oncology Users Meeting, 9 a.m. - 4 p.m., Boston's Wang Theater, 270 Tremont Street
- Saturday, September 20, Annual Radiation Oncology Users Party, 7:30 -11 p.m., Roxy Theater, 279 Tremont Street
- Monday, September 22, Investor's Meeting, 2 - 4 p.m., Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel, Pacific Salon, 606 Congress Street
• Tuesday, September 23, Media Roundtable Event: Paradigms in Radiation Medicine, 3:30 - 5 p.m., Boston Renaissance Waterfront, Thompson Room, 606 Congress Street
*ExtendTM and MonacoTM VMAT each require 510(k) review and are not yet commercially available in the U.S.
For further information, please contact:
Michelle Lee, Elekta, Inc
Tel: +1 770-670-2447, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Lena Schattauer, Investor Relations, Elekta AB
Tel: +46 8 587 257 22, +46 70 595 51 00, e-mail: email@example.com
Elekta is a human care company pioneering significant innovations and clinical solutions for treating cancer and brain disorders. The company develops sophisticated state of the art tools and treatment planning systems for radiation therapy and radiosurgery, as well as workflow enhancing software systems across the spectrum of cancer care.
Stretching the boundaries of science and technology, providing intelligent and resource-efficient solutions that offer confidence to both healthcare providers and patients, Elekta aims to improve, prolong and even save patient lives, making the future possible today.
Today, Elekta solutions in oncology and neurosurgery are used in over 5,000 hospitals globally, and every day more than 100,000 patients receive diagnosis, treatment or follow-up with the help of a solution from the Elekta Group.
Elekta employs around 2,500 employees globally. The corporate headquarter is located in Stockholm, Sweden, and the company is listed on the Nordic Exchange under the ticker EKTAb. For more information about Elekta, please visit www.elekta.com.