Paris, 9 February 2011 – JCDecaux SA (Euronext Paris: DEC), announced today that it has become the largest outdoor advertising company in the world with revenues in 2010 of €2,350 million ($3,115 million).
Based on its three divisions of Street Furniture, Transport and Billboard, JCDecaux operates 1,040,600 advertising panels in 56 countries.
Commenting on JCDecaux reaching this milestone, Jean-Charles Decaux, Chairman of the Executive Board and Co-CEO, said:
“We are extremely pleased and proud that in 2010 JCDecaux became the number 1 outdoor advertising company in the world with total revenues of €2,350m ($3,115m).
It all started in 1964 when Jean-Claude Decaux, our founder and today Chairman of JCDecaux’s Supervisory Board, installed his first advertising bus shelters in Lyon driven by his vision of city beautification financed through advertising revenues at no cost to the municipalities and taxpayers. A new advertising medium was born and, since then, the JCDecaux team has successfully transformed a French local outdoor media company into one of the few global media owners, now in 56 countries around the world, for the benefit of all its stakeholders.
In 1999, two years before the IPO of JCDecaux, an important milestone was achieved with the transforming acquisition of Avenir. Since then, JCDecaux has doubled its revenue primarily through organic growth in the two fastest growing outdoor segments – Street Furniture and Transport – and an increasing exposure to emerging markets. JCDecaux also grew through regional bolt on acquisitions, notably in China, UK, Austria and Germany. Today JCDecaux is number one in Europe, Asia Pacific and the Middle East, and number 4 in the USA.
Becoming the largest player in its industry has never been the ultimate goal of JCDecaux, however we want to take this opportunity to thank all our stakeholders for their support and trust, especially the local authorities, transport companies, private landlords as well as the advertisers and agencies with whom we have worked over the years. We believe that becoming the number one worldwide reflects the strong commitment and hard work of our teams around the world, the consistent quality of our operations and our continuous best in class innovation.
We will continue to be entrepreneurial and take advantage of future consolidation and growth opportunities utilising our strong balance sheet while maintaining our financial discipline.”
Key Figures for the Group:
- 2010 revenues: €2,350 m ($3,115m)
- JCDecaux is listed on the Eurolist of Euronext Paris and is part of the Euronext 100, Dow Jones Sustainability and FTSE4Good indexes
- No.1 worldwide in street furniture (428,000 advertising panels)
- No.1 worldwide in transport advertising with 163 airports and more than 300 transport contracts in metros, buses, trains and tramways (380,200 advertising panels)
- No.1 in Europe for billboards (230,500 advertising panels)
- No.1 in outdoor advertising in the Asia-Pacific region (239,600 advertising panels)
- No.1 worldwide for self-service bicycle hire
- 1,040,600 advertising panels in 56 countries
- Present in 3,500 cities with more than 10,000 inhabitants
- 9,940 employees
Communications Department: Agathe Albertini
+33 (0) 1 30 79 34 99 – firstname.lastname@example.org
Investors Relations: Martin Sabbagh
+33 (0) 1 30 79 79 93 – email@example.com
Communications Department Sweden