JOINT PRESS RELEASE:
United Nations Refugee Agency (UNHCR), Mercy Corps, Save the Children and World
Vision today issued an impassioned appeal to the general public, urging it to
voice its outrage at the devastating impact on children and alarming long-term
consequences of a lost generation as the conflict in Syria approaches its fourth
Nearly 5.5 million children are now affected inside Syria and in neighbouring countries. The five organizations warn that without an end to the relentless horror and suffering for children and without increased investment in their education and protection, an entire generation could be lost to Syria and the wider region.
The organizations are calling for the public to join in a massive call for action, hosted on www.change.org. The call for action is directed at all those who have the responsibility and the ability to bring an end to the suffering of children and safeguard their future.
In addition to the immediate protection of children, the call for action stresses the importance of breaking the cycle of violence and providing children and young people with the support they need now to play a constructive role in the future peace and stability of Syria and the region.
The five demands are:
* An end to the violence against the children of Syria. All those involved in the fighting must fully respect humanitarian law, end the recruitment of children, and commit to a peaceful resolution to this conflict.
* An end to blocking of humanitarian assistance. Humanitarian organizations must be allowed to safely reach all those who are suffering.
* An end to attacks on humanitarian workers and facilities – especially schools and hospitals.
* A renewed commitment to reconciliation and tolerance – led by all communities affected by the conflict, involving children and young people.
* More investment in the education and psychological protection of all children affected by the conflict. Children need help to recover from the traumas they have faced and acquire the skills they will need to help rebuild their country and strengthen the stability of the region.
The public appeal aims to
engage at least 1 million voices of support before the war in Syria reaches the
end of its third year on 15 March.
To join the public appeal, please go to the following link on change.org: http://bit.ly/nolostgeneration
Attention broadcasters: Broadcast quality PSAs, b-roll and photo are available at http://weshare.unicef.org/mediaresources
Campaign hashtags: #childrenofsyria #NOlostgeneration.
For further information, please contact:
Juliette Touma, UNICEF Regional Office for the Middle East and North Africa, Amman, email@example.com, +962-79-867-4628
Edward Carwardine, UNICEF New York, firstname.lastname@example.org, +1-212-326 7162
Melissa Fleming, UNHCR Geneva, Fleming@unhcr.org, office: + 41 22 739 7965, mobile: + 41 79 557 9122
Meg Sattler, World Vision International, Amman, email@example.com, +962-77-868-7784
Cassandra Nelson, Mercy Corps, firstname.lastname@example.org, +44-778-628-175, +1-718-414-4324
Conor O’Loughlin, Save the Children International, email@example.com, +44-7768-704569, +44-20-3215-3342
FN:s flyktingorgan UNHCR verkar för skydd och bistånd till miljoner flyktingar världen över, på ett opartiskt sätt och oberoende av etnisk bakgrund, religion, politisk åskådning och kön.