New Teen Wing Doubles Capacity at Melrose Home
- S$600,000 Extension Facility Developed and Donated by Ascendas GIVES Foundation
- Singapore, 26 July 2013 – Children’s Aid Society (CAS) and leading business space solutions provider, Ascendas Pte Ltd (Ascendas) are pleased to announce the opening of a new teenage wing at Melrose Home, the oldest children’s home in Singapore. Made possible via a S$600,000 donation through Ascendas’ charitable giving arm, Ascendas GIVES Foundation, the new wing will double Melrose Home’s current capacity to house its teenage residents.
- The inauguration ceremony for the new wing was graced by Mrs Mary Tan, wife of President Tony Tan, who was joined by Mr Michael Kan, Chairman of Children’s Aid Society, and Mr Willy Shee, Chairman of Ascendas GIVES Foundation.
- Managed by CAS, Melrose Home provides a supportive environment for children between the ages of three to 18 years old, who require care and protection in a residential setting. These are children whose parents or family members are unable to provide care or to supervise them. A 20% increase year-on-year in admissions to the home since 2009 has prompted CAS to seek support in expanding the home’s capacity to offer better quality care and rehabilitation to its residents.
- Featuring a 16-bed living quarter, with study and recreation space, multimedia as well as washroom facilities, the new wing doubles Melrose Home’s residential capacity from 15 to 30 teenagers. Construction for the new wing started in July 2012, with Ascendas contributing its project management expertise and manpower. The Foundation also garnered the support of various industry partners including ADDP Architects LLP, Expand Construction Pte Ltd, Fong Consult Pte Ltd, PTP Engineers and WT Partnership, to contribute towards the project.
- Mr Willy Shee, Chairman of Ascendas GIVES Foundation, said: “Ascendas GIVES Foundation is committed to supporting and improving the quality of life of the less fortunate in our community. We are pleased that we could leverage on our core expertise to provide a conducive environment that supports the development and well-being of youths in Singapore.”
- Mr Michael Kan, Chairman of Children’s Aid Society, said: “These youths are at a critical stage in their lives where proper care and protection is essential for their healthy development and welfare. The assistance from Ascendas GIVES Foundation enables Melrose Home to provide a “home away from home” for these youths.”
- Mr Kan added: “While our residents for the new wing comprise of teenage girls at the moment, we have gained invaluable experience in providing care and rehabilitation for youths. We are planning to extend our support to offer care to teenage boys by the end of 2013.”
- In addition to the donation and construction, Ascendas GIVES Foundation also contributed to the social and personal development of the Home’s residents. Ascendas staff have volunteered their time to actively engage the residents in personal grooming workshops, art workshops, festive celebrations and rock climbing activities.
About Ascendas Group (www.ascendas.com)
Ascendas is Asia’s leading provider of business space solutions with more than 30 years of experience. Based in Singapore, Ascendas has built a strong regional presence and serves a global clientele of over 2,400 customers in 25 cities across 10 countries including Singapore, China, India, South Korea and Australia.
Ascendas specialises in masterplanning, developing, managing and marketing IT parks, industrial & logistics parks, business parks, science parks, hi-tech facilities, office and retail spaces. Leveraging on its track record and experience, Ascendas has introduced new business space concepts such as integrated communities and solutions which seamlessly combine high-quality business, lifestyle, retail and hospitality spaces to create conducive human-centric work-live-play-learn environments. Its flagship projects include the Singapore Science Park and Changi City at Changi Business Park in Singapore, International Tech Park Bangalore in India and Ascendas-Xinsu in Suzhou Industrial Park, China. Ascendas provides end-to-end real estate solutions, assisting companies across the entire real estate process.
In November 2002, Ascendas launched Singapore’s first business space trust, Ascendas Real Estate Investment Trust (A-REIT), and in August 2007, Ascendas India Trust (a-iTrust) was launched as the first listed Indian property trust. In July 2012, Ascendas listed Ascendas Hospitality Trust (A-HTRUST), which comprises a portfolio of quality hotels in Australia, China, Japan and Singapore. Besides managing listed real estate funds, Ascendas also manages a series of private funds with commercial and industrial assets across Asia.
In 2012, Ascendas set up the charitable giving arm, the Ascendas GIVES Foundation, to champion and strengthen its CSR support to the communities in which the Group operates. The Foundation advocates the spirit of caring and sharing within its communities through programmes that support the Arts, Community and the Environment.
About Children’s Aid Society (www.childrensaidsociety.org.sg/cas)
Children’s Aid Society (CAS), one of the oldest charities in Singapore, is registered under the Societies Act. CAS manages Melrose Home, a "home away from home" for children and teenagers between the ages of three to 18 years old, who need care and protection in a residential setting. These are children whose parents or family members are unable to provide care or to supervise them. Children of other ages are admitted under special circumstances as well depending on their needs. Melrose has the capacity to provide quality residential care for 40 children and 30 teenagers.