Singapore Police Force

Violent Serial Snatch Thief Arrested

Press release   •   Jun 03, 2011 17:05 +08

Police have arrested a 20-year-old man who is believed to be involved in a series of snatch theft cases committed in the Yishun and Ang Mo Kio estates.

On 22 May 2011, Police received two separate reports from two elderly female victims, aged 79 and 67, who informed that their valuables were snatched away by an unknown suspect. Both incidents occurred while the victims were on their way home. The first incident took place at about 9am at the staircase landing of Blk 841 Yishun Avenue 2 while the second incident occurred at about 7pm at Blk 346A Ang Mo Kio Avenue 3. Both victims lost cash, a mobile phone and valuables which amounted to a total of S$750/-.

Upon receiving the reports, officers from Ang Mo Kio Police Division worked fervently on the cases. Through extensive ground enquiries, the officers managed to establish the identity of the suspect. However, he remained elusive as he did not have a fixed place of abode. The officers did not relent and an islandwide manhunt was conducted to locate him. On 2 June 2011 at about 12.30am, an operation was mounted and the officers spotted the suspect in the vicinity of Ang Mo Kio Central. When approached, the suspect turned hostile and started to violently assault the officers. The suspect was eventually subdued and arrested. Preliminary investigations indicate that the suspect is believed to be involved in at least seven cases of snatch theft, theft, and theft-in-dwelling.

The suspect will be charged on 3 June 2011 for an offence of Snatch Theft under Section 356 of the Penal Code, Chapter 224, which carries a punishment of up to 7 years imprisonment and caning.

Commander of Ang Mo Kio Police Division, Assistant Commissioner of Police (AC) Hsu Sin Yun, commended his officers for their dedication and teamwork that led to the suspect's arrest. AC Hsu also advised members of public to be alert to their surroundings when walking alone in secluded areas and to call the Police immediately following such an incident