DIY SEO ApproachJan 17, 2013 17:00 SGT
There are a
number of different methods to approach SEO for your website. Some people focus on getting as many
backlinks as they can while some focus on keyword optimization. But we at
Dropmyemail took an overall look at the aspects of SEO and attacked it from all
the different ends.
White Hat SEO tactics are those that maintains the integrity of your website and the SERPs (search engine results pages).
Black Hat search engine optimization is customarily defined as the practice of using unethical techniques to make your search rankings go up.
Despite making use of various medium to improve our SEO, our key focus to do it right and on content. As they say, content is the king. We were firm on content and used the white hat approach to get our selves higher up the order in Google.
We put great emphasis on content.Since the in-house team is much closer to the action, it is easy for them to churn out relevant articles about the company on a daily basis At Dropmyemail, we have a dedicated team that works on creating good quality content and distributing it via various platforms. The white hat approach is also in lines with the social media guidelines and Google approved strategy.
By saying ‘good quality content’, we mean relevant content that appeals to the readers so that they share it on their social network. It is important that the content is spread to as many readers as possible so that it drives more traffic to your website. We receive over 3400 users a month via organic search.
We also ensure that all the content that we write is related either to the product domain or to the company. This ensures that the readers can connect to the company and we can place relevant keywords in the content and link it back to our website. Till date, we have been able to get more than 33,500 links to our website over a period of 10 months.
Apart from using texts in the content, it also helps to have images and videos (if possible) in it. Google pays attention to a number of aspects while deciding the page rank including images, keyword density, meta tags, description etc.
Even though the white hat approach is at the core of our SEO strategy, it is important to distribute the content via multiple methods to reach out to various readers. It also helps in generating more backlinks to the site but in a Google approved way. Some of the methods in which we distribute our content includes :
1) Our Blog : The company’s blog plays a key role in increasing SEO. The blog is where you can add a lot of content on a regular basis. We make sure every blog post has relevant keywords which we are targeting and link them to our website. Our blog gets on average about 90 visits per post.
2) Press Releases: There are a number of free PR sites as well as paid PR sites. These sites helps to spread out the press releases to multiple channels. Some of them are well syndicated by other networks as well. This helps in creating multiple backlinks to the website and targeting users via multiple channels. It is helpful to release a PR every week via the free and small sites where as to release a major press release every month via a paid and well established PR site.
3) Guest Posts : Apart from making posts on our blog, we also create a lot of relevant content for a number of well known online blogs. Given that our domain is tech, we tie up with a number of well ranked blogs and post on their networks. Given that those blogs have a good page rank and a larger user base, the back links add great juice to the site and also helps drive traffic to the website.
4) Social Media : As everyone would know, the best way to spread word about anything is to make use of social media. We do the same. We make use of our twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and other network to push out links to our posts and other relevant posts/contents to our followers. In the last 9 months, our social networks have driven more than 23,500 visitors to our site.
Apart from content, we also ensure we follow other aspects of SEO to keep our website in-par with our competitors including:
1) Using relevant keywords, titles and description for each of the page with the correct keyword density.
2) Naming images with correct alt text with keywords on most of them on every page of the website.
3) Making use of rich-snippets as and where applicable.
4) Ensuring a high keyword density on each page of the website.
5) Creating good quality backlinks to the website.
6) Including ourselves to online directories which are well ranked and have a positive impact on the SEO.
7) Creating videos and spreading it via various modes such as YouTube, vimeo and other sources.
8) Contributing to forums and other discussions.
By taking a DIY approach we were able to develop our SEO faster and cheaper. We recommend for SMEs (Small Medium Enterprises) to follow our lead and get started on this now for quick effective results.