Skip to main content

Photos released in Brighton Pavilion rape investigation

News   •   Jun 11, 2019 15:39 BST

Detectives investigating the rape of a woman in the gardens of Brighton Pavilion have released two photos of a man they would like to speak to in connection with the incident.

The images were captured in the area early on Saturday morning (June 8) when the woman was seen running from the gardens following the attack.

Detective Inspector Duncan Elliott said: "We believe that the man in pictures may have important information and we would ask him or anyone who recognises him to contact us.

"This was a vicious attack that left the woman with a number of injuries that required hospital treatment. She is now receiving specialist support.

"We are also appealing for anyone who may have been in the area at the time or who may have a home or business with CCTV covering the area around the Pavilion. Similarly, anyone driving with a dashcam operating might well have captured something that could be of interest to us. Please report online or call 101 quoting Operation Cobalt."

The woman, who is in her early 20s, was seen running from the gardens in a distressed state at 5.45am, prompting a call from a concerned member of the public. She told police that she had been raped by a man in the area of the Indian Gate shortly beforehand.

Author: Andy Freeman
Ref: SXP54827/2019

IMAGE LICENSING NOTE: The image(s) provided remain(s) the property of Sussex Police or to a third party who has agreed to its/their release.

It/they is/are provided for the explicit purpose of journalistic coverage and commentary, in the public interest, in relation to identifying the featured person(s).

You are granted limited licence to use the material for this purpose for 90 days from the date it is provided or upon being notified on this website that the person has been identified, whichever is the sooner. You may also re-distribute it for this purpose at zero cost to the receiver, provided it is clearly marked as belonging to Sussex Police and this notice remains.

You may include our material as part of a wider package of journalistic content that is paid for by the receiver – for example a court report or feature article – provided that the material owned by Sussex Police is clearly marked as such, this notice remains and our material is supplemented by content of additional value produced by you.

Re-distribution of this material for profit in breach of the terms above, use for any purpose other than that expressed above or archiving of this material for future use is strictly prohibited without the prior written permission of Sussex Police.

Requests for use outside of these terms should be sent to media.hq@sussex.pnn.police.uk.