British Sandwich Week is a celebration of one of the nation’s favourite fast foods. Why not celebrate by experimenting with sweet and sour flavours in and around your sarnie.
The most important part of any sandwich are the two pieces that holds the meal together – the bread.
With so many options like Ciabatta, Farmhouse and Tiger bread, the softness, crustiness and fluffiness can really make or break your sandwich.
We’ve put together some sandwich inspiration below to get you started, both of which are made in the Panasonic bread-maker!
The Ploughman’s- the phrase 'Ploughman's Lunch' was first promoted by the Milk Marketing Board in the 1960s as part of a campaign to promote the sales of cheese, especially in pubs.
The variety of ingredients within this sandwich satisfies most people’s taste buds, due to the sharpness and sweetness. Why not try making a Ploughman’s sandwich with some seedy oval bread?
Seedy Oval Bread
300g malty seed flour (Granary® style)
200g wholemeal flour
A selection of different cheeses, meats and local produce to serve
1. Put all the ingredients in the pan in the order listed above
2. Select the whole wheat dough program (3hours 15 mins)
3. When the cycle is complete, remove the dough from the machine onto a floured work surface and knead the dough for several minutes. Shape into a round loaf, place onto a lined baking tray and leave to prove for 30mins.
4. Bake in the oven for 30-40mins at 200°C. Check the bread is cooked by tapping the underside. ( If it sounds hollow it’s ready.) Leave to cool.
5. Cut the top off the loaf to make a lid and remove the soft crumb from the inside to create a container. Don’t throw away the inside of your loaf as there are plenty of recipes ideas in the leftovers section of the Ideas Kitchen
6. Just before you are ready to go out fill the loaf with different cheeses, meats, pickles, relishes and wrap in a tea towel to serve.
Bacon Sarnies – a delightful salty treat that most people have sampled in the UK. The sizzling rashers of bacon, topped with either brown or red sauce can only be completed with a fluffy white piece of bread. The question is, are you into brown sauce, or red?
Classic Sandwich Bread
½ tsp yeast
400g strong white bread flour
- Put all the ingredients in the bread pan in the order listed above
- Select the SANDWICH PROGRAM 5 hours.
- Remove the loaf and cool before slicing.
Send us your perfect sandwich using the #experiencefresh!