The beginning of 2010 has seen snow and icy conditions sweep through the UK. Like everyone else Center Parcs felt the freeze, however, due to the hard work and dedication of staff, Center Parcs Longleat Forest remained open and operational, using the most ingenious ideas to battle the most unpredictable conditions.
With over 15 years experience in the UK short break industry, it is understood at Longleat Forest that when the weather is unforgiving, innovative methods and committed individuals are essential to give families visiting even in the coldest of months, the best break they can have.
Here are just some of the methods of coping with the snow:
- Many members of staff showed their commitment by walking several miles to get to work
- Leaf-blowers were used to blow snow off guests’ cars in the car park
- Up to 80 members of staff stayed on the villages overnight to keep the village operational
- Propane heaters were used to stop the brakes freezing on the bikes in the cycle centre
- Over the course of the week, the village was ploughed 40 times which is the equivalent of 300 miles
- A free holiday club was organised for staff who had their children with them due to school closures
Andy De’Ath, General Manager of Longleat Forest says:
“We have had some severe weather conditions over the years and this has to have been one of the most challenging. We are proud to say that we have learnt from previous experiences and put plans in place for these situations so, despite these harsh weather conditions, we stayed open and operational. From over 100 activities we offer, only 1% of activities were cancelled due to health and safety reasons. It is thanks to colleagues working around the clock so that we could continue to give families a quality short break experience. Despite the operational challenges, the forest looked beautiful and our guests had a fantastic time.”
Center Parcs is one of the only destinations in the UK open 365 days a year, whatever the weather. With an indoor Subtropical Swimming Paradise, over 70 indoor activities and an indulgent Aqua Sana Spa, families enjoying a break at Center Parcs don’t let the weather get in the way of the perfect break.
For more information on Center Parcs, visit: www.centerparcs.co.uk or call: 08448 266 266
Notes to editors
With an increasing number of people taking their holiday in the UK, there has never been a better time to enjoy the Center Parcs experience. Having invested over £150 million, in the last 3 years alone, the luxury accommodation with fresh designs and contemporary interiors, unrivalled range of activities and upgraded selection of restaurants keep even the most demanding family entertained and happy!
Center Parcs is proud of its status as the UK’s favourite short break destination and its success is down to continual investment and innovation to make the experience for first time and loyal guests, the best it can be.
Contact informationJessica Marshall-Pearce, Press Officer
Telephone: 01623 821723 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes to Editors
- Center Parcs has five Villages across the UK; Sherwood Forest in Nottinghamshire, Elveden Forest in Suffolk, Longleat Forest in Wiltshire, Whinfell Forest in Cumbria and Woburn Forest in Bedfordshire which opened to guests on 6 June 2014
- As the leader in the UK short break holiday market, Center Parcs regularly achieves average annual occupancy in excess of 97%
- Center Parcs offers weekend, (Friday to Monday) or midweek (Monday to Friday) breaks and welcomes over 1.7 million guests each year, with 96% of guests expressing an intention to return
- The Center Parcs concept is to provide a range of high quality accommodation, shops, restaurants and exceptional leisure facilities, carefully nestled amongst 400 acres of protected forest environment
- This concept originated in Holland in 1967, with the first UK Center Parcs opening in 1987. Center Parcs is now a separate entity in the UK, owned by The Blackstone Group
- Center Parcs has been awarded the following accolades since 2008: the Green Business Award for Biodiversity Protection, Visit Britain 5 Star Rating, Hospitality Assured, Biodiversity Benchmark - Land Management, Carbon Trust Standard, Good Spa Guide Award, ISO14001, Investors in People
- Center Parcs has recently been announced ‘Best Family Holiday Provider’ in the Tommy’s Awards for the eleventh year in a row