Over the past three years Center Parcs has raised £503,246 for Great Ormond Street Hospital Children’s Charity with the help of 1,000 rubber ducks that have raced down the Subtropical Swimming Paradise’s Wild Water Rapids at Center Parcs each month.
Center Parcs invited guests to sponsor a rubber duck for £2 each, with the winning family receiving a special Center Parcs prize, all in aid of a great cause.
Today the army of 1,000 rubber ducks reach the end of their fundraising journey at Center Parcs, clocking off with over 1,500 racing miles under their wings – the equivalent of swimming the English Channel 71 times!
Marking the end of a very successful swimming career, it’s time for Center Parcs’ rubber ducks to spread their wings and make one last journey, from Center Parcs Head Office in Nottinghamshire to Great Ormond Street Hospital itself, where they will they will raise even more money in the charity’s future events.
The Rubber Duck Races, and other events such as Teddy Bear Hunts, Cake Sales and Cycle Rides, have been held at each Center Parcs village across the UK and have raised over half a million pounds for the Great Ormond Street Hospital Children's Charity Beds for Bedz appeal, aiming to keep families together by providing accommodation for parents whilst their children are undergoing treatment at Great Ormond Street Hospital.
Martin Dalby, CEO, Center Parcs said: “We are extremely proud to have raised over £500,000 for this worthy cause and would like to thank our guests, staff and anyone else who has generously donated over the years and taken part in our Duck Race events.”
Center Parcs Press Office
Telephone: 01623 821733
Notes to Editors
- Center Parcs has five Villages across the UK; Sherwood Forest in Nottinghamshire, Elveden Forest in Suffolk, Longleat Forest in Wiltshire, Whinfell Forest in Cumbria and Woburn Forest in Bedfordshire which opened to guests on 6 June 2014
- As the leader in the UK short break holiday market, Center Parcs regularly achieves average annual occupancy in excess of 97%
- Center Parcs offers weekend, (Friday to Monday) or midweek (Monday to Friday) breaks and welcomes over 1.7 million guests each year, with 96% of guests expressing an intention to return
- The Center Parcs concept is to provide a range of high quality accommodation, shops, restaurants and exceptional leisure facilities, carefully nestled amongst 400 acres of protected forest environment
- This concept originated in Holland in 1967, with the first UK Center Parcs opening in 1987. Center Parcs is now a separate entity in the UK, owned by The Blackstone Group
- Center Parcs has been awarded the following accolades since 2008: the Green Business Award for Biodiversity Protection, Visit Britain 5 Star Rating, Hospitality Assured, Biodiversity Benchmark - Land Management, Carbon Trust Standard, Good Spa Guide Award, ISO14001, Investors in People
- Center Parcs has recently been announced ‘Best Family Holiday Provider’ in the Tommy’s Awards for the eleventh year in a row