With National Rum Day taking place on the 16th August, it’s the perfect time to get cocktail creative to ensure you can celebrate in style.
And what better way to treat yourself and cool down in the summer than cocktails with ice cream?
This duo of rum-tastic ice cream cocktail recipes from El Dorado and Goslings are guaranteed to hit the flavour spot as fans everywhere raise a glass to rum glorious rum!
El Dorado Over Ice-Cream
37.5ml El Dorado 12 year old Rum
25ml Mr Black Amaro
1 scoop vanilla ice cream
15ml caramel syrup
1 dash The Bitter Truth orange bitters
- Put all the ingredients in a cocktail shaker along with 3 or cubes of ice.
- Shake aggressively.
- Double strain.
- Serve in a Nick and Nora glass or similar
- Decorate with dark chocolate shavings.
Dark ‘n Stormy® Ice Cream Float Cocktail
50ml Goslings Black Seal Rum
175ml Goslings Ginger Beer
Dark ‘n Stormy Ice Cream (See recipe below on how to make it or if you don’t have the time, just use a good quality vanilla ice cream.)
- Add one generous scoop of the Dark ‘n Stormy® ice cream to a large glass
- Pour over the Goslings Black Seal Rum and then slowly top up with the ginger beer.
- Decorate with a slice or two of candied lime.
To make the Dark ‘n Stormy® ice cream:
1 cup sugar
2 cups milk
2 cups full cream
8 large egg yolks
½ cup Gosling’s Black Seal® Rum
½ cup crystalized ginger, chopped fine
- In a saucepan combine the sugar, the milk, and the cream and scald the mixture over a moderate heat, stirring constantly.
- In a large bowl beat the egg yolks until they are light and thick and pour in the milk mixture through a fine sieve.
- Transfer the custard to a saucepan and cook it over moderate heat, stirring, until it coats the spoon.
- Transfer the custard to a metal bowl set in a bowl of ice and stir until it is cool.
- In a small stainless steel or enamelled saucepan reduce the Black Seal Rum over moderately high heat by half, taking care it does not ignite. Allow it to cool.
- Stir the Black Seal Rum and the crystalized ginger into the custard and chill the mixture, covered, for 2 hours. Freeze the mixture in an ice-cream freezer according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
About Love Drinks
Love Drinks is an independent import, distribution and marketing company for premium quality spirits, liqueurs and craft beers. Their portfolio represents quality, craft-distilled and family-owned brands that have a rich provenance, heritage and history.
Founded by Kirsty Loveday BEM in 2007, Love Drinks represent Abelha Organic Cachaça, The Bitter Truth Cocktail Range of Bitters and Liqueurs, Brighton Gin, Einstök Icelandic Craft Beers, El Bandarra Vermut, El Dorado Demerara Rums, Goslings Bermuda Rums, Hernö Gins, Kamm & Sons and Mr Black Cold Brew Coffee Liqueur.