Skip to main content

Appeal for witnesses in Camberwell murder investigation

News   •   Nov 20, 2016 15:43 GMT

Detectives investigating the murder of a man in Camberwell are appealing for witnesses and information.

On Saturday, 19 November police were called by London Ambulance Service (LAS) at approximately 09:15hrs to reports of a stabbing outside St Giles Church on Camberwell Church Street, SE5.

Officers attended and found a man suffering from stab injuries. He was taken by LAS to a south London hospital. He died later that afternoon. Next of kin have been informed.

Detectives from the Homicide and Major Crime Command are investigating.

The victim has been formally identified as Mohamed Kakay, 33 (24/11/1982), from Bromley and a post-mortem examination is scheduled to take place Sunday, 20 November.

At this early stage of the investigation it is believed that Mohamed had entered the grounds at the rear of St Giles Church at around 09:00hrs.

He was stabbed but managed to stagger along the path at the side of the church to the front and out onto Camberwell Church Street, collapsing near Wilson Road.

Some members of the public stopped and administered first aid until emergency services arrived.

Detective Chief Inspector Lee Watling, who is leading the investigation, said:

"We understand that the grounds and footpaths around St Giles Church are popular in the local area with dog walkers, and by people using them as a 'cut through'.

"So we are appealing to anyone who was in or around the area of the church at around 9am on Saturday morning, 19th November, to contact our incident room.

"My team and I are keen to hear from anyone who may have seen or heard anything at that time. It is possible someone may have witnessed something that can assist our investigation."

Any witnesses or anyone with any information are urged to call the incident room on 020 8721 4205. To give information anonymously call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or visit

On Saturday, 19 November a 36-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of murder. He is currently in custody at a south London police station.

Enquiries continue.