Skip to main content

Further appeals following violent robbery

News   •   Jan 18, 2017 07:57 GMT

[Image: Two men police wish to speak to]

Detectives from the Flying Squad have today released CCTV stills of two men they would like to speak to in connection with a commercial robbery in Barking.

These images were taken on the 17 December 2016, ten days prior to the actual robbery and police wish to identify them as part of their investigation.

On Tuesday, 27 December, police were called shortly before 18:40hrs to a robbery at Turquoise Jewellers, London Road, Barking. Jewellery worth over £50,000 was taken.

Officers attended and found the manager, a 45-year-old man, suffering from head and facial injuries.

The London Ambulance Service was called and the victim was taken to an east London hospital for treatment - his injuries were not life threatening injuries. He has been discharged from hospital.

Following enquiries officers established that two men had entered the location offering jewellery for sale.

Having observed the jewellery the manager declined and as a result was assaulted.

He was punched several times in the face and over the head, before being tied up. The two men then emptied the shop and contents in the safe.

A third suspect stood outside the shop as a lookout on his mobile phone and then entered the shop and left soon after with the other two suspects carrying bags laden with the shop's contents. CCTV footage was released of the three suspects on 16 January.

The suspects are described as:

Suspect 1 is described as a white man with a black beard wearing a grey bobble hat, dark blue jacket with a tartan hessian laundry bag over his shoulder, dark trousers and black trainers.

Suspect 2 is described as a white man with a black beard wearing a dark body warmer over a grey top, a dark bag across his waist, grey jogging bottoms and dark trainers with yellow soles.

Suspect 3 is described as a stocky white man with a beard wearing a grey hooded top, grey trousers and white trainers.

No arrests have been made. Enquiries are ongoing.

Detective Constable Andy Davenport, from the Flying Squad, said:

"This is a shocking incident that has left the victim very traumatised after his ordeal. We are keen to identify the three men in the CCTV footage so we can speak to them about the incident. We would also urge anyone who witnessed the incident to contact us."

Anyone with information or any witnesses are urged to call police on 101 or on Twitter @Metcc or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.