Skip to main content

Man jailed for fatal stabbing in Ilford street

News   •   Jul 24, 2019 13:29 BST

[Guilty: Florent Okende]

A man has been jailed for more than 20 years after being found guilty of fatally stabbing a man in an Ilford street

Florent Okende, 20 (28.02.99) of Eastern Avenue, Redbridge, was found guilty at the Old Bailey on Tuesday, 23 July, of the murder of Ché Morrison.

Okende was sentenced today, Wednesday, 24 July, at the same court, to 23 years imprisonment.

He had previously pleaded guilty to possession of an offensive weapon and two counts of cannabis possession. For these offences he received concurrent sentences of 12 months and eight months respectively.

Police were called at 20:48hrs on Tuesday, 26 February to reports of a stabbing outside Ilford Railway Station in Cranbrook Road.

Officers and the London Ambulance Service attended and found 20-year-old Ché injured.

Despite the efforts of the emergency services, he was pronounced dead at the scene around 30 minutes later.

A post-mortem examination held on Thursday, 28 February, gave the cause of death as a stab wound to the heart.

A murder investigation was launched under Detective Chief Inspector Mark Cranwell.

Officers reviewed local CCTV which captured the moment that Ché was stabbed and Okende was identified as a suspect in the murder. He was arrested on Saturday, 2 March and charged the following day.

In a statement, Ché’s mother, Novina Morrison, said: “On the 26th of February 2019, I lost a part of me. Ché was my only son and the baby of my family.

“The past few months have been hard. I have to live with the daily reminder that my son was callously and senselessly murdered, as he waited by Ilford station to meet his friends.

“On the 17th of July – his 21st Birthday – a day that should have been memorable, was spent standing by my son’s grave asking “what if” and “why him”.

“Ché is still alive in our hearts, and what I am sure of is that his finger prints can’t be wiped away, for his little marks of kindness that he has left behind cannot be erased.”

Detective Chief Inspector Mark Cranwell, said: “Without any warning, Okende punched Ché in the head, and three seconds later leaned forward and stabbed him in the chest. Ché’s injury proved fatal, despite paramedics from London Ambulance Service swiftly coming to his aid.

“The bravery of Ché’s family has been extraordinary throughout this harrowing time, and they will forever have to live with this terrible loss.

“Okende showed no remorse for murdering Ché, and is a determined offender, with no regard for the law, or respect for life.

“I hope today’s sentencing gives Ché’s family a small, but meaningful measure of comfort.”