Skip to main content

Man jailed for violent attack, Collier Row

News   •   Jan 31, 2018 15:43 GMT

[Gary Warren]

Two men have been sentenced after being convicted for their role in an attack on a teenager in Collier Row.

Gary Warren, 48 (04.12.69) of Jaywick Lane, Clacton-on-Sea, Essex and his brother Lee Warren, 40 (13.08.1973) of Lowshoe Road, Collier Row were sentenced at Snaresbrook Crown Court on Monday, 29 January.

Gary Warren was found guilty of GBH with intent and possession of an offensive weapon following a nine-day trial at the same court. He was jailed for 12 years.

Lee Warren pleaded guilty to affray at an earlier hearing and was sentenced to 12 months’ imprisonment, suspended for two years. He was also ordered to pay the victim costs.
The court heard how on 9 July 2017, Lee Warren had instigated a fight outside the Royal British Legion in Collier Row with a group who had attended a 21st Birthday party. He had phoned his brother, Gary Warren, to come and assist.

Gary Warren turned up at the venue in possession of a knife, which within seconds he had used to attack an 18-year-old man. The knife caused an injury to the victim’s neck, slicing through an artery. A close friend to the victim who was a trainee paramedic provided life saving first aid enabling the injured male to be taken to hospital. He underwent surgery and was subsequently discharged.

Officers began an investigation and using witness accounts and intelligence work around vehicles at the scene, Gary Warren was identified as a suspect. Lee Warren was arrested having handed himself in the day after the attack.

He was detained at Gatwick Airport on the morning of 11 July attempting to flee the country to Tenerife

Both Gary Warren and Lee Warren were promptly charged by East Area Command Unit Investigations unit and the trial took place between the 2nd January 2018 and the 11th January 2018.

Acting Detective Sergeant Ben McNish who led the investigation said: “This conviction sends a powerful message to those who choose to carry knives on the streets of London, and makes everyone aware of the consequences of such actions.

“I hope that the lengthy sentence handed out to Gary Warren gives some comfort to the victim and his family. The victim was present through the whole trial and conducted himself with dignity and bravery.

“This conviction was the product of exceptional detective work by my team and has ended in two violent men being convicted.”

The victim, Ryan O'Donnell said: "This was an extremely scary experience I was just lucky to have a very calm and smart friend who saved my life. It is a positive result from court and I would like to thank the police for the professionalism shown throughout this investigation.”