Blog post -
Celebrating our impact on healthy lifestyles in Birmingham
Our award winning Health for Life programme has gone from strength to strength this year!
Our most exciting news was the launch of a new element - Health for Life in Nursery schools, which will see us work with all 27 local authority nursery schools in Birmingham over the next two years with the team at Services for Education.
Meanwhile, our Primary schools took part in our first ever cookathon which saw hundreds of children across Birmingham cook up a tasty harvest vegetable soup and handmade bread, led by celebrity chef Marcus Bean. It was so much fun to join Marcus and the children of Wyndcliffe Primary School to officially open their amazing new classroom kitchen and see the children thoroughly enjoy and confidently cook their soup and make handmade bread from scratch. It was also very delicious!
The programme is supported by Mondelez volunteers and our RDQ team at Bournville spent a sunny day with the team at The Conservation Volunteers (TCV) on our Health for Life growing space at the Queen Elizabeth hospital in Selly Oak, harvesting produce grown by local people and preparing beds for fruit and veg to be grown in the next growing season.
There is an amazing team behind the programme and it wouldn’t happen without our delivery partners; Services for Education and TCV. A huge thank you for all your input this year – we’ve achieved some amazing things and I’m very proud to lead the team!
By Kelly Farrell, Community Affairs Manager, Mondelez International.
About Health for Life
- Health for Life is a community programme which aims to make a sustained improvement in healthy lifestyles in local communities across Birmingham.
- The programme takes a whole community approach to support children, adults and families to live healthier lifestyles for generations to come, engaging people in growing food, physical activity, healthy eating and cookery.
- Between 2011-2017 Health for Life reached 125 primary and secondary schools; created 15 community growing spaces and reached around 90,000 people in the city.Over 900 Mondelēz employees volunteered their support to the programme.
- During 2018 Health for Life is working with a further 12 primary schools and continuing to support several of the programme’s community growing spaces in Birmingham.
- Health for Life supports Change4Life, the wellbeing campaign from Public Health England.
- Working in partnership, Health for Life is funded by Mondelēz International and delivered byThe Conservation Volunteers and Services for Education.
- The programme has received national acclaim with Mondelēz International winning the Food and Drinks Federation Health and Wellbeing Award in 2013 and Business in the Community’s ‘Big Tick’ 2014, in the Building Stronger Communities category, for the Health for Life in primary schools programme.
About Mondelēz International
Mondelēz International launched the Health for Life programme in 2011 and is continuing the company’s long-term commitment to work in partnership, delivering a wide-reaching and successful healthy lifestyle programme within Birmingham.
Mondelēz International, Inc. (NASDAQ: MDLZ) empowers people to snack right in approximately 160 countries around the world. With 2017 net revenues of approximately $26 billion, MDLZ is leading the future of snacking with iconic global and local brands such as Oreo, belVita and LU biscuits; Cadbury Dairy Milk, Milkaand Toblerone chocolate; Sour Patch Kids candy and Trident gum. Mondelēz International is a proud member of the Standard and Poor’s 500, Nasdaq 100 and Dow Jones Sustainability Index. Visit www.mondelezinternational.com or follow the company on Twitter at www.twitter.com/MDLZ.
About Services for Education
Services For Education is a professional service provider of education and learning which improves the lives of children, young people and adults. Services For Education is comprised of the School Support Service and the Music Service. It was established in 2012 and works with pupils, teachers, schools and all organisations linked with supporting education and learning.
Services For Education is the delivery partner for Health for Life in primary schools and has supported the programme since its launch in 2011.
For more information visit http://servicesforeducation.co.uk/index.php/Health-Education/health-for-life-in-primary-schools.html. Follow us on Twitter at https://twitter.com/S4EUK
The Health for Life programme supports the Change4Life campaign which recognises that in order to maintain a healthy weight we need to eat a healthy balanced diet and move more. Many families are making changes that will help them live healthier and longer lives. Visit www.nhs.uk/Change4Life for more information.
About Mondelēz International
Mondelēz International, Inc. (NASDAQ: MDLZ) empowers people to snack right in over 150 countries around the world. With 2019 net revenues of approximately $26 billion, MDLZ is leading the future of snacking with iconic global and local brands such as OREO, belVita and LU biscuits; Cadbury Dairy Milk, Milka and Toblerone chocolate; Sour Patch Kids candy and Trident gum. Mondelēz International is a proud member of the Standard and Poor’s 500, Nasdaq 100 and Dow Jones Sustainability Index. Visit www.mondelezinternational.com or follow the company on Twitter at www.twitter.com/MDLZ.