UK Government

Department for Business, Innovation and Skills (National): Lord Drayson’s statement on STFC re-prioritisation exercise

News   •   Dec 17, 2009 11:02 GMT

Responding to the results of the re-prioritisation exercise announced by the STFC today Science and Innovation Minister Lord Drayson said:

We are investing record amounts into scientific research, but it is absolutely right that it is the scientists themselves, through the Research Councils, that decide how best to spend this money.

The STFC have today decided on their research priorities to ensure that they continue to fund the very best science and operate within their budget, which has grown by 13.6% in the three years ending 2010/11.

I note that the Research Councils have worked together to ensure that any risk of the already allocated STFC grants being withdrawn is removed. I am grateful to the STFC and the other Research Councils for the work they have done to find a solution in the short term that does not undermine our scientific research effort.

However, it has become clear to me that there are real tensions in having international science projects, large scientific facilities and UK grant giving roles within a single Research Council. It leads to grants being squeezed by increases in costs of the large international projects which are not solely within their control.   I will work urgently with Professor Sterling, the STFC and the wider research community to find a better solution by the end of February 2010.

For more information contact Adrian Bradley on 0207 217 5080.

Department for Business, Innovation & Skills

The Department for Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS) is building a dynamic and competitive UK economy by: creating the conditions for business success; promoting innovation, enterprise and science; and giving everyone the skills and opportunities to succeed. To achieve this it will foster world-class universities and promote an open global economy. BIS - Investing in our future.


NDS Enquiries 
Phone: For enquiries please contact the above department