A few simple preparations before you travel can help to make your Christmas holiday safe and trouble free.
If you do get into problems while abroad then we are here to help, but you can avoid a lot of difficulties in the first place by following these basic tips:
- take out comprehensive travel insurance - make sure it covers you for any activities you are likely to undertake such as extreme or water sports
- check the Foreign Office advice for the country you are visiting
- check the NaTHNaC website or contact your GP's surgery as early as possible before you travel to find out if you need any vaccinations or other medication
- for certain countries your passport must be valid for 6 months after the date you travel – check the entry requirements section of the travel advice for the country you are travelling to
- take enough money for your trip and some back-up funds in a mix of cash and cards
Visiting friends or family abroad?
You still need to take the same preparations as if you were going on holiday. Foreign Office research from earlier this year showed that nearly half of young people did not take out insurance the last time they stayed with family and friends.