According to Blackberry, BBM (Blackberry Messenger) will soon be available for Windows Phone handsets. It also announced that BBM will be available for the Nokia X, Nokia X+, and Nokia XL upon launch of the smartphones, suggesting that the messenger will be pre-installed in the handsets.
In a press release, Blackberry announced:
Mobile World Congress 2014, Barcelona – BlackBerry Limited (NASDAQ: BBRY; TSX: BB), a global leader in mobile communications, today announced that BBM™ will be made available to Windows Phone and Nokia X customers in the coming months.
BBM is a premier mobile messaging platform that offers best-in-class collaboration tools such as BBM Groups, BBM Voice and BBM Channels. BBM users rely on the privacy, immediacy and control that are at the core of BBM.
“BBM continues to grow in popularity as millions of people use our mobile platform for chatting and connecting with friends or colleagues, and we are very excited that we will soon welcome Windows Phone and Nokia X users to the BBM community,” said John Sims, President, Global Enterprise Solutions at BlackBerry.
"Today marks an exciting moment for Nokia," said Bryan Biniak, Vice President and GM of Developer Relations, Nokia Corporation. "By bringing BBM to the Windows Phone and Nokia X communities, our customers will be able to experience this popular global messaging app."
Windows Phone and Nokia X customers will soon have access to a comprehensive suite of messaging and collaboration features, including:
· BBM Chats: Have instant BBM Chats, including a Multi-Chat option, and receive real-time confirmations when messages are delivered and read (Ds & Rs)
· Personalization: Create a profile that can be easily personalized with profile pictures/avatars and status updates that contacts can see in the Updates area of BBM
· BBM Groups: Now, with BBM Groups, up to 50 people can be added to the conversation. Chat, share photos and schedules with even more friends
· BBM Voice: Free voice calls between BBM contacts on Windows Phone, Nokia X, iPhone, Android and BlackBerry anywhere in the world using data or WiFi connection (*Data Plan or WiFi required for BBM Voice)
· BBM Channels: Join conversations on BBM Channels between people, brands and communities. Create a BBM channel to share thoughts, ideas and passions. Or, subscribe to a channel to join conversations with others who have shared interests.
· One-click sharing: BBM users on Windows Phone, Nokia X, Android, iPhone and BlackBerry devices have access to fast one-click sharing of photos, documents, voice notes and more
· New Emoticons: We now have over 100 new emoticons to help people say what they mean and make their point in a fun and visual way.
Pricing and Availability
BBM will be available as a free download from the Windows Phone Store this summer. BBM for Nokia X will be available from the Nokia Store when the Nokia X platform launches.
Can’t wait to get BBM on your Windows Phone handset? Can’t wait to get the X, Nokia X+, and Nokia XL? Drop a comment below.