Bedford College has been successfully delivering the REED NCFE Awards in Job Search and Interview Skills to help lead their learners from education into employment. The college has tailored their delivery of the courses to meet the needs of specific cohorts of learners looking for work:
- 76 construction students have completed the Level 1 Award across a 2 week period and now feel better prepared to compete in the labour market.
- Through the college’s Sector Based Work Academy, the local job centre referred a group of learners to the college who were guaranteed an interview at a new Waitrose store if they achieved the Level 1 qualification. 20 of these job-seekers were certificated and 5 have already secured positions.
- A group of unemployed adults have pro-actively booked themselves onto the course, through the college.
- The Level 2 Award will be delivered to the college’s full-time Engineering, Plumbing and Motor Vehicle students from September. The qualification will run alongside their main programme of study, over a 20 week period, contributing to the students’ overall learning.
- It’s also set to become a core part of the college’s ‘pre Apprenticeship’ programme to give potential apprentices a head-start in their chosen career route. This is a great opportunity for those young people who are interested in doing an Apprenticeship but haven’t found yet found an employer to support them.
Karen Taylor, Work-Based and Commercial Training Manager at the college commented, “The flexibility of the qualifications has enabled us to use them in a variety of contexts to best suit the particular group of learners. In the current economic climate, it’s so important that colleges work with their learners to prepare them for employment and these qualifications help us to do this.
“We’ve got a very positive working relationship with NCFE and hope that when our External Moderator visits us again in August, we’ll achieve Direct Claim Status for the Level 1 qualification. This will be very beneficial to us, as it’ll mean we can sign off our own certificate claim forms without having to wait for an External Moderator visit.”
For more information on the Job Search and Interview qualifications and working with REED NCFE, please visit www.reed-ncfe.org.uk or give us a call on 0191 239 8000.
- NCFE is one of the UK’s leading awarding organisations, developing and implementing vocational and academic qualifications in a range of subjects.
- NCFE works with 2,000 colleges, schools and training providers to offer over 300 qualifications on the QCF and NQF in a range of subject areas.
- NCFE works closely with colleges, training providers, schools and employers throughout the UK to develop specific and relevant qualifications which focus on the needs of the learners and employees.
- NCFE is also a registered educational charity and a company limited by guarantee. Our charitable aim is 'to promote and advance the education and training of young persons and adults'.