Canadian fragrances market reaching sales of C$694 million

Press Release   •   Jul 17, 2012 10:15 BST

The Canadian fragrances market reached sales of C$694 million in 2011, with current value growth amounting to a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 3%. Unchanged volume sales however indicated that the average unit price increase of 3% was the only market growth driver.

The Canadian fragrances market is predominantly made up of premium fragrances (69%) with mass fragrances taking the remaining 31%.

The largest part of the Canadian fragrances market is claimed by women. 61% of fragrances value sales are attributed to women, 38% to men, with unisex representing the smallest segment with just 1%.

The fastest growing segment in the Canadian fragrances market was premium men's fragrances. The segment grew at a CAGR of 3% to reach a market value of C$186 million. Value growth of women's premium fragrances was marginally below that of men's, although market size was much greater at C$287 million in 2011. Market growth in both these segments can be attributed to unit price increases.

In 2011, Coty (Canada) Inc achieved the largest share of the Canadian fragrances market with 30% in value terms. Coty's share peaked in 2008 (at 32%) and has been slightly declining since then, to the benefit of marketers like Dolce & Gabbana.

Canadian fragrances market sales, in constant value terms, are projected to grow at a CAGR of 1% through to 2016, to reach a market value of C$723 million. A highly saturated environment and low population growth (hence, a largely static customer base) will continue to affect sales unfavourably.

For more information on the Canadian fragrances market, see the latest research: Canadian Fragrances Market Report

Follow us on Twitter @CandMResearch issues news updates and report summaries covering all major industries and sectors. The service provides additional client monitoring and timely alerts to breaking industry and sector news leading the day's business headlines. News articles, written by our staff, contain additional analyst insight, providing value added insight for our readers. News updates and real-time alerts on newly-released market reports are also available from our Facebook page, Twitter feed @CandMResearch and RSS links. We also welcome inquiries from business journalists and the news media.