The Prime Minister has approved the appointment of two Directors General at the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills.
Professor Adrian Smith has been appointed to the new post of Director General, Knowledge and Innovation and Tera Allas has been appointed Director General and Chief Economic Advisor.
Permanent Secretary Martin Donnelly said:
“I am delighted to confirm appointments to these two key posts.
“Professor Adrian Smith brings to this role his wide knowledge of the university and science sectors and his successful leadership of significant change programmes in the public sector. He is currently Director General of Science and Research at BIS and prior to that had a distinguished academic career.
“Tera Allas is an experienced economist. She spent more than a decade working for McKinsey and Company and has gone on to hold senior roles in Whitehall. She is currently Chief Economist and Director of Transport Analysis and Economics at the Department for Transport.
“Both these appointments bring a blend of public sector and external experience that will play an invaluable role in the Department’s highly significant work for the economy.
“The appointments complete the Department’s top level structure and enable us to push forward with our major internal change programme.”
Notes to editors:
1. The new post of Director General, Knowledge and Innovation will lead work to develop a strong innovative economy through the application of knowledge and closer links with universities and industries. It will also lead on policy on research, space, higher education and innovation.
2. Professor Adrian Smith has had a distinguished civil service and academic career. He has been Director General, Science and Research in BIS since 2008. Prior to this appointment he held senior leadership positions in the university sector, including as Principal of Queen Mary, University of London (1998-2008). A statistician by training, Professor Smith has served on government advisory committees. He has also worked as a statistical consultant for leading UK companies.
3. The Director General and Chief Economic Advisor is head of economics and analysis for the Department. Mrs Allas’ appointment follows the departure of Vicky Pryce CB in August 2010.
4. Tera Allas has a strong commercial and civil service background. She spent 12 years working for McKinsey and Company (1992-2004) and is currently Chief Economist and Director of Transport Analysis and Economics at the Department for Transport. She was previously Chief Economist.
5. BIS' online newsroom contains the latest press notices, speeches, as well as video and images for download. It also features an up to date list of BIS press office contacts. Seehttp://www.bis.gov.uk/newsroom for more information.
Phone: For enquiries please contact the issuing dept