Winter holidays can be turned grey by travel woes. While the weather can’t be controlled, Directgov, the Nation’s Official Website, can help people to avoid traffic and transport nightmares.
Directgov has just launched a travel news iPhone app that gives you the latest on the roads and public transport across the UK. The free app displays live travel and transport news by region from Transport Direct, on a dynamic map.
For those travelling by car, drivers can access real-time information on traffic congestion, accidents, and roadworks nationwide. Road users are able to park up in a safe place and find all the travel information they need at their fingertips
For those using public transport, the travel news app gives you the latest information on delays and incidents for the whole of the UK.
For people who don’t have iPhones, travel news is already available on any internet-enabled mobile across all networks. Just text TRAVEL to 83377 to receive a link to the service.
Directgov is also developing a version of the application for mobile phones which run on Google’s Android operating system.
Jayne Nickalls, Directgov CEO said: “This is a first for Directgov and we are exploring and developing more innovative tools to help people access essential information easily and quickly. Directgov has a wide range of helpful tools and resources to help people avoid stresses and strains during the Christmas and New Year holidays.”
For more information and to access these services visit www.direct.gov.uk.
For more information email email@example.com or call 020 7 829 3817.
Notes to editors
- Directgov is the Nation’s Official Website and provides user-friendly, 24/7 information on all government services – including education, transport, tax, crime, the environment, employment – all in one place and in plain English.
- As well as being available on the website www.direct.gov.uk, which now attracts as many as 20 million visits a month, it can also be accessed on any internet-enabled mobile phone, and on TV.
- Directgov’s mobile service is available at http://m.direct.gov.uk or text MOBILE to 83377
- In June 2009, the site received its 250,000,000th visit.
- Please note: Directgov is spelt as one word and with a lower case ‘g’
People without internet access can use the Directgov mobile service to find their nearest UK online centre, for access and support: Text ONLINE to 83377
Phone: For enquiries please contact the above department