A new TV series – “The Business Inspector” - has been sponsored by HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC). The programme will raise awareness among small businesses that they need to keep good records.
The Business Inspector is a four-part series that will be broadcast weekly on Five at 8pm from 10 March 2010.
Stephen Banyard, Business Customer Unit Director at HMRC said:
“We know that most small businesses want to get their tax right. But we also know too that failure to take reasonable care costs the Exchequer over £6bn a year, with a major cause being poor record keeping. We hope this series will raise awareness of the need for good record keeping.
“We also want small businesses to realise the benefits to them – such as improved cash flow – of taking better care of their records and paperwork.”
Presenter Hilary Devey said:
“Britain’s brimming with creativity but a terrifying number of businesses go bust each year and this shouldn’t be happening. I am going to teach businesses how to improve their all round business knowledge and direction, cash flow, marketing strategy and in some cases even their enthusiasm. Invaluable lessons they will never forget.”
Notes to editors
1. HMRC does not feature in the programme and Five retains full editorial control. HMRC has sponsored the programme and has sponsorship credits on the programme. All activity adheres to the Cabinet Office sponsorship guidelines and - as with all government communications activity - is subject to strict propriety guidance.
2. HMRC are co-producing the series with Five and Optomen Television. HMRC’s contribution to the series budget is £370,000.
3. The series is presented by award winning entrepreneur Hilary Devey. She is the inspirational founder, Chief Executive and Chairman of The Pall-Ex Group. A 2008 C4 Secret Millionaire she is a highly respected business figure who has not only built up a multi million pound business from nothing but has helped revolutionise palletized freight distribution in the process.
4. The series is produced by Optomen Television, makers of ‘Ramsay’s Kitchen Nightmares’ (C4) and ‘Mary Queen of Shops’ (BBC).
5. To view the documents associated with this release, please use the link below:
HMRC contact details:
Elaine Graham - 0207 147 0855
Five contact details:
Anna Mason - 020 7550 5538
Issued by HM Revenue & Customs Press Office
Press enquiries only please contact:
Phone: For enquiries please contact the above department