Why is it that the catchiest advert jingles, even if we hate them, stay in our heads and just won’t get out? How many times have you been caught unawares doing your own little rendition of ‘Autoglass repair, Autoglass replace’, or ‘Washing Machines Live Longer with Calgon’, or even more embarrassingly, have you ever found yourself singing ‘whoaaaahh Bodyforrrm!’?
There are endless examples of irritatingly catchy adverts. The Go Compare opera singer was the most-played piece of music used in TV and radio adverts in 2012 and is undoubtedly one of the most annoying and yet successful adverts of last year.
It goes without saying that there will be a host of hot contenders again this year, one of which could well be the LuckyPants Bingo advert which has been a topic of much debate with people’s comments ranging from “I’ve just seen the Lucky Pants Bingo TV advert. I’ve now lost the will to live”, to “Can someone make this into a real song please?!”.
You never know, it could even follow in the footsteps of the Crazy Frog, which became so irritating in a ‘hate it but love it’ way, that it was made into a pop song that even made it to number 1 here in the UK. Apparently, an estimated 10% of the population saw the advert more than 60 times which, as you’d expect, led to many people finding the crazy frog immensely irritating*. But one thing for certain is that it won’t be forgotten for years to come.*
Some people say there is a careful science behind making an advert stick in a person’s head. Darren Sams of luckypantsbingo.com says; “We’ve had so many comments about our advert from people hating it to loving it but they all have one thing in common, they can’t get it out of their mind. Of course the jingle’s lyrics and repetition play a big part in this, and of course this was intentional. We know that it’s the jingles that often make adverts so memorable, for years and years.”
Taking a trip down memory lane here are a few more jingle “gems” you may well remember. Would you want to bring any of them back?:
1. Fairy Liquid (1970s): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gSttAiZmhc
2. R-Whites Lemonade (1970s): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqBa7eay6Fo
3. Bodyform (1980s): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asXw2a4kQLc
4. Club (1980s): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LmZCMmNPkM
5. Milky Bar (1980s): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YayqNv_RcE4
6. Cornetto (1980s): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VZ1fUmtw9I
7. Shake n' Vac (1980s): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4q8inM0gKVo
8. Wine Gums (1990s): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-fE7RKDJ2k
9. Aquafresh (1990s): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ydGwRiGx5s
10. Crazy Frog (2000s): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6mIbIFkAgc
11. Sheila’s Wheels (2000s): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrKaQRIXPNw
12. Haribo (2000s): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFK3Dr2Tz34
13. WeBuyAnyCar.com (2010s): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXiJBp7HK5o
14. GoCompare (2012): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYjrt2ko4Kc
15. LuckyPantsBingo (2013): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtjyFAk2hHQ
*Source: Media Guardian, 20 June 2005
For more information, please contact Sarah Morgan or Shelley Sofier at Red Kite PR
Notes for Editors:
Luckypantsbingo.com offers an original and high quality gaming experience using the best and most inventive providers present in the market. It is an enjoyable, original, fun environment creating a new level of entertainment whilst being extremely customer friendly.