Petition presented to wind-up company in the public interest
The Secretary of State for Business, Innovation & Skills has presented a petition in the High Court to wind up Costello Limited in the public interest.
The company based in Trafford Park, Manchester carried on business nationally selling advertising space in publications and on websites purporting to promote awareness in child safety, road safety and crime prevention.
The petition to wind up the company was presented following an investigation carried out by Companies Investigation Branch of the Insolvency Service under section 447 of the Companies Act 1985 (as amended). The Official Receiver has been appointed provisional liquidator of the company pending the hearing of the petition.
The case is now subject to High Court action and no further information will be made available until the petition is heard in the High Court on 27th January 2010.
Notes to editors
1. The registered office of Costello Limited is at 6 Lumsdale Road, Cobra Court, Trafford Park, Manchester M32 0UT and the company was incorporated on 7th January 2008.
2. The petition was presented under s124A of the Insolvency Act 1986 on 16th November 2009 and the Official Receiver was appointed Provisional Liquidator on 27th November 2009.
3. The Insolvency Service carries out confidential enquiries on behalf of the of the Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills through Companies Investigation Branch.
4. The Insolvency Service administers the insolvency regime investigating all compulsory liquidations and individual insolvencies (bankruptcies) through the Official Receiver to establish why they became insolvent. The Service also authorises and regulates the insolvency profession; deals with disqualification of directors in corporate failures; assesses and pays statutory entitlement to redundancy payments when an employer cannot or will not pay employees; provides banking and investment services for bankruptcy and liquidation estate funds; and advises ministers and other government departments on insolvency law and practice.
5. All public enquiries concerning the affairs of the companies should be made to: The Official Receiver, Public Interest Unit, 2nd Floor, 3 Piccadilly Place, London Road, Manchester, M1 3BN. Tel: 0161 234 8531
Further information about the work of The Insolvency Service is available from www.insolvency.gov.uk
6. Media Enquiries should be directed to: Ade Daramy, Press Officer on 020 7596 6187
Phone: For enquiries please contact the above department