No matter what the season is, the iPhones are always one of the hottest and sought after gadgets today. Unfortunately, for a certain passenger on an Australian flight (ZL319), the handset was just too hot to hold or touch (literally speaking). Last Friday while on an Australian flight, a passenger’s iPhone 4 suddenly started emitting significant amount of dense smoke. This was accompanied by a certain red glow. This is according to a statement released by Regional Express.
The said Australian plane flying from Lismore to Sydney, was in midflight of landing when the incident happened. “In accordance with company standard safety procedures, the flight attendant carried out recovery actions immediately, and the red glow was extinguished successfully” this is their full statement.
After the plane has landed, the said iPhone 4 was handed over to the officials of the Australian Transport Safety Bureau. However, there is still no official statement yet on what really caused the handset to explode that way.
We all know that an exploding Apple gadget is rare, but explosions have already happened in the past. This is mostly related to devices with overheating lithium ion batteries. This may be one of the very few exploding Apple products that have been recorded.
The European Union have launched an investigation back in 2009 after multiple circumstances of iPod and iPhones exploding midflight were reported back in the UK, Sweden, Holland, and France. Apple has also recalled their 1st generation iPod Nanos sold between September 2005 and December 2006. The reason behind this is that the batteries are known to overheat and they pose safety risk to their users. This is all according to the company’s website.
Again, this case is still under investigation and no official statement has been released to date about the passenger or the investigation result.