Peter Collis, Chief Land Registrar and Chief Executive of Land Registry, has announced that he will be stepping down after 10 years in the role.
"It has been an enormous privilege to lead Land Registry for the last 10 years and I am immensely proud of all that has been achieved during that time. But, looking ahead, it is clear that, just as Land Registry is changing, so the role of Chief Executive will change. In my view, now is the time to make way for someone with different skills and experience to take Land Registry forward."
Marco Pierleoni, currently Director-General, Finance and Commercial at the Ministry of Justice, will be succeeding Peter until the role of Chief Executive is advertised and filled.
"I am pleased to be joining Land Registry at this exciting time, and to be taking forward the proposals set out in the accelerated transformation programme to enable Land Registry to become the lean, flexible and even more customer-focussed organisation that we all want it to be."
Notes to editors
1. Peter Collis is taking early retirement under the terms of the Civil Service Compensation Scheme. He took up post as Chief Land Registrar and Chief Executive of Land Registry on 1 November 1999.
2. On 22 October 2009 Land Registry announced its accelerated transformation programme proposals to reduce the size of the organisation and to close five local offices. The proposals are currently subject to consultation.
3. With the largest transactional database of its kind detailing over 22 million titles, Land Registry underpins the economy by safeguarding ownership of many billions of pounds worth of property.
4. As a government department established in 1862, executive agency and trading fund responsible to the Lord Chancellor and Secretary of State for Justice, Land Registry keeps and maintains the Land Register for England and Wales. The Land Register has been an open document since 1990.
5. For further information about Land Registry visit www.landregistry.gov.uk
Contacts Marion Shelley 020 7166 4543
Esther McWatters020 7166 4487
Press Office 0207 166 4215
Lincoln's Inn Fields
London WC2A 3PH
Tel (direct) 020 7166 4543
Fax 020 7166 4516
Press notice reference 02/10
Phone: For enquiries please contact the above department