The MOD sent over seven tonnes of festive food – including a tonne of sprouts – to Afghanistan give our forces a taste of Christmas while on operations.
The tonne of sprouts accompanied:
-Two-and-a-half tonnes of Christmas cake;
- Nearly one-and-a-half tonnes of turkey;
- Over a tonne of mince pies;
- A tonne of Christmas pudding; plus
- 1,000 litres of gravy.
Forces also feasted on 325Kg of cheesecake, 216Kg of shortbread biscuits and 174Kg of after dinner mints.
But it was not just food that gave our forces a festive treat - the halls of Camp Bastion were decked with 80kg of balloons, 39Kg of party streamers, 58Kg of large party hats, 58Kg of party poppers and 46Kg of Christmas crackers which were all delivered to the frontline.
Charity UK4UThanks! provided 15,000 Christmas boxes - weighing a total of 21 tonnes – that contained a host of goodies bought with money donated from members of the public for troops in Afghanistan to open on Christmas Day.
Trooper Jay Moore, of The Queen’s Royal Hussars, said:
"Last year I spent Christmas away from my family on deployment in Afghanistan. To have welfare boxes sent out to us brought a slice of home and the festivities to Afghanistan made all the difference and provided a real boost to morale."
Notes To Editors:
1. For further information contact the MOD press office on 0207 218 7907.
2. For pictures log on to www.defencenewsimagery.mod.uk.
3. For Christmas dinner, troops started off with soup with bread rolls, followed by a choice of roast turkey, gammon, pork or beef.
4. This was served with all the trimmings, including roast vegetables, stuffing, sausage and bacon rolls, Yorkshire pudding, roast and creamed potatoes and cranberry sauce, Brussels sprouts, batton glazed carrots, sliced green bean, cabbage and gravy.
5. For dessert there was Christmas cake, Christmas pudding, mince pies, Irish cream cheesecake, peach schnapps gateaux, luxury assorted shortbread, served with a choice of custard sauce or whipped cream.
6. After Eight Mints finished off the meal.For table of Christmas on the Frontline 2009 – the amount of food sent to Afghanistan please see:
DESCRIPTION Weight (kg)
Christmas cake small – Iced 2640.00
Mince Pies Frozen (Baked) x 36 1461.60
Xmas Pudding Basin 81.60
Xmas Pudding Log (12 ptn approx.) 783.36
After Eight Mints 174.00
Lux biscuits assorted shortbread 216.00
Turkey Bone In 186.00
Gammon S/P Smkd Av 4 Kg(767kGS) 848.11
Turkey Breast Rolls (1022kGS) 1112.78
Brussel Sprouts - 1000.00
Irish Cream Cheesecake 325.50
12" FOIL CRACKERS 46.00
FOIL BLOWOUTS 13.60
PARTY POPPERS 57.60
ASSORTED BALLOONS 80.00
LARGE SHAPED PARTY HATS 57.60
PARTY STREAMERS 39.00
3 PLY HOLLY XMAS NAPKIN 40 CM 18.40
XMAS HOLLY PAPER PLACEMAT 36.00
XMAS HOLLY BANQUET ROLL 40m 60.00
Xmas Boxes 15,000 individual boxes 21000.00
Phone: For enquiries please contact the above department