Companiesandmarkets.com

North American airport retail market experiencing average duty-free spend of $69

Press Release   •   Aug 22, 2012 12:27 BST

The North American airport retail market is currently experiencing average customer expenditure per visit to airport based duty-free and duty paid retail outlets to be $69 and $44 respectively.

Of these duty-free airport retail store purchases, 36% were 'pre planned', while the remaining 64% were said to be 'impulsive' buys.

With regards to duty paid airport retail store purchases, in total 66% turned out to be 'impulsive', whereas the remaining 34% constituted 'pre-planned' purchases.

The leading product categories in the North American airport retail market, as identified by consumers were; 'food, beverages and tobacco', 'books, news and stationery', 'perfumes, cosmetics and personal care' and 'apparel, accessories and luxury goods', all of which occupy the most airport retail space.

Statistics have suggested that the average time spent by a customer at duty-free airport retail outlets is 22 minutes, as compared with 19 minutes at duty paid outlets.

Overall, 34% of respondents spend between $16-$20 per visit on food and beverages; while 22% spend $11-$15. In total, 8% of respondents used the 'shop and collect' facility at airport retail stores within the last six months.

'Art and craft', 'food and non-alcoholic beverage', and 'stationery and cards' are the most important within the domestic brand airport retailing market, while 'consumer electronics', 'luggage and leather goods' and 'perfumes, cosmetics and personal care' are significant within the global brands sector.

For more information on the North American airport retail market, see the latest research: North American Airport Retail Market Report

Follow us on Twitter @CandMResearch

Companiesandmarkets.com issues news updates and report summaries covering all major industries and sectors. The service provides additional client monitoring and timely alerts to breaking industry and sector news leading the day's business headlines. News articles, written by our staff, contain additional analyst insight, providing value added insight for our readers. News updates and real-time alerts on newly-released market reports are also available from our Facebook page, Twitter feed @CandMResearch and RSS links. We also welcome inquiries from business journalists and the news media.