Staff from People’s Postcode Lottery swapped office life for the great outdoors when they planted 1,000 native trees to create the Postcode Grove at Lang Craigs, in the Kilpatrick Hills near Dumbarton.
The grove has been planted to celebrate the support players of the charity lottery have given to the Woodland Trust Scotland.
Carol Evans, director, Woodland Trust Scotland and Annemiek Hoogenboom, country director, People’s Postcode Lottery, planted an oak tree to mark the occasion.
Carol Evans said: “This grove has been planted as thanks to the players of People’s Postcode Lottery. I’m really pleased that the entire team from the charity lottery took the time to come along to Lang Craigs to plant 1,000 native trees, which will serve as a lasting reminder of the lasting relationship we have with them.
“I’d love everyone to come back over the years to see these young trees grow into a spectacular native wood, part of the 600 acres of woodland that we are establishing here at Lang Craigs.”
Annemiek Hoogenboom said: “We are all so proud of our support of Woodland Trust Scotland, to date players have raised over £300,000 which helps the charity to protect the important, and beautiful, native woodland across the country. We thoroughly enjoyed rolling up our sleeves and getting our hands dirty, we look forward to the next planting session.”
Over the next three years the Woodland Trust Scotland is planting 200,000 native trees to create a 600 acre wood at Lang Craigs to benefit both people and wildlife. Many of the trees will be planted by local people, volunteers and schoolchildren.
Notes to Editors:
About People’s Postcode Lottery
• People’s Postcode Lottery is Britain’s charity lottery. Players play with their postcodes to win cash prizes while raising money for good causes in their area.
• People’s Postcode Lottery manages multiple society lotteries promoted by different causes supporting a range of good causes. For details on which society lottery is running each week, visitwww.postcodelottery.co.uk/society
• People’s Postcode Lottery is regulated by the Gambling Commission. It holds an External Lottery Manager’s Licence and promotes a series of society lotteries in Great Britain.
• Postcode Lottery Limited is regulated by the Gambling Commission under certificate nr 829-N-102511-003 and 829-R-102513-003, dated 01 January 2009. Registered office: Titchfield House, 69/85 Tabernacle Street, London, EC2A 4RR.
• People’s Postcode Lottery players support the following Trusts – Postcode Green Trust, Postcode Care Trust, Postcode Culture Trust and People’s Postcode Trust. These Trusts support a variety of charities, including:
o Postcode Green Trust: Canal & River Trust, Northumberland Wildlife Trust, Scottish Wildlife Trust, Wildlife Trusts Wales, Woodland Trust, WWF Scotland, Yorkshire Wildlife Trust and Yorkshire Dales Millennium Trust.
o Postcode Care Trust: CHILDREN 1ST, Children North East, Daisy Chain, Maggie’s Cancer Caring Centres and Missing People
o Postcode Culture Trust: National Galleries of Scotland
o People’s Postcode Trust is a grant-giving charity which funds hundreds of projects that benefit local communities
• The Trusts are funded entirely by players of People’s Postcode Lottery
• There are five large draws a month and each draw costs £2 – paid in advance by monthly direct debit. 40p from every £2 ticket goes to good causes and all money raised stays local to the players
• Our players have raised over £20.7 Million for great causes across the country
• All playing tickets are entered into five £10,000 Street Prizes, where every ticket in the full winning postcode wins £10,000
• Every month, one lucky ticket wins the keys to a BMW 1 Series
• Four times a year, players in one lucky postcode area share at least £1.5 million in one of our Postcode Million draws
• All prizes are awarded by ticket, so the more tickets you play with, the more you could win
• Players can sign up by Direct Debit or credit card online at www.postcodelottery.co.uk, by calling 0808 10-9-8-7-6-5 or through coupons they receive through the post
• This monthly subscription model allows us to pay prize money directly into our winners’ bank accounts. A player’s Direct Debit is their proof of purchase so with People’s Postcode Lottery there are no lost tickets.
For more information contact:
Woodland Trust Scotland
t:08452 935 607
m:07979 706 675
Woodland Trust ScotlandThe Woodland Trust is the UK’s leading charity championing native woods and trees. It has more than 200,000 members. The Trust has three key aims: a) to enable the creation of more native woods and places rich in trees b) to protect native woods, trees and their wildlife for the future c) to inspire everyone to enjoy and value woods and trees. Established in 1972, the Woodland Trust now has over 1,000 sites in its care covering approximately 20,000 hectares (50,000 acres). In 1984, the Trust acquired its first wood in Scotland. Today the Trust owns 80 sites across Scotland covering 8,750 hectares.
The Woodland Trust is the UK’s leading charity championing native woods and trees. It has 300,000 members and supporters.
The Trust has three key aims: i) to enable the creation of more native woods and places rich in trees ii) to protect native woods, trees and their wildlife for the future iii) to inspire everyone to enjoy and value woods and trees.
Established in 1972, the Woodland Trust now has over 1,000 sites in its care covering approximately 20,000 hectares (50,000 acres). Access to its sites is free.