Edinburgh eco packaging firm Vegware will be officially presented with The
Queen’s Award for Enterprise in Sustainable Development by the Lord Provost of
Edinburgh at a formal reception at the City Chambers on Tuesday 30th
July. The Polwarth firm won the Queen’s Award for developing zero waste food
packaging, promoting sustainability and contributing to economic growth. The
City Chambers event comes just one week after two Vegware representatives met
the Queen at a Buckingham Palace reception, and one day before an official
visit to its Polwarth HQ by the Secretary of State for Scotland, Michael Moore
Joe Frankel, founder and MD of the award-winning packaging firm said, “The Queen’s Award for Enterprise is the most prestigious accolade we have won so far and we are delighted to have our achievements honoured by the Queen. Vegware is making a positive contribution to the economy whilst boosting sustainability with our zero waste catering disposables. We are on target for fifteen-fold growth since 2009. Until late 2009 Vegware consisted of Sales Director Dominic Marjoram and I. Now with a team of 32, it will be a real pleasure to raise a toast in the tartan cups we designed when the award was announced!”
The Lord Provost Rt Hon Donald Wilson, the Queen’s representative in Edinburgh, will present a crystal rose bowl to Joe Frankel and his team of 32. This Royal recognition is adds to Vegware’s collection of over 30 accolades including 2 Scottish Parliamentary Motions and 1 Edinburgh Council Motion. Also receiving their Queen’s Award will be other winning Edinburgh firms: The Innis & Gunn Brewing Company, HotDocs and Petroleum Experts.
Vegware makes certified compostable catering disposables such as coffee cups, takeaway boxes and tableware, made from recycled and sustainably-sourced eco materials. The firm’s packaging is designed for food waste recycling after use, allowing caterers to recycle food-contaminated coffee cups and takeaway boxes which often otherwise go to landfill. This Festival the firm’s plastic-free disposables are being used and recycled together with food waste, helping many festival venues reduce waste to landfill and boost recycling. These include EUSA festival venues Potterrow, Teviot and the Pleasance, at the Edinburgh Book Festival, and Edinburgh Mela.
Vegware’s non-profit initiative www.foodwastenetwork.org.uk is a free service matchmaking any UK business with local food waste collections. This is helping Scottish food businesses comply with the new waste Regs coming into force on 1st January 2014.
Note to Editors:
1. The City Chambers event will take place at 6pm on Tuesday 30th July 2013.
2. On Tuesday 23rd July 2013, two Vegware employees met the Queen at Buckingham Palace: Sales Director Dominic Marjoram and Communications Manager Lucy Frankel. Blog post here.
3. On Wednesday 31st July 2013 at 4:15pm, the Secretary of State for Scotland Michael Moore MP will make an official visit Vegware’s newly expanded HQ in Polwarth, Edinburgh.
4. Vegware has won 11 awards and accolades so far in 2013, a total of 31 since 2009. These include two Scottish Parliamentary Motions and one Edinburgh Council Motion – full list here.
5. From 1st January 2014, all Scottish businesses will be required to recycle, including many having to introduce food waste recycling – full info here.
6. Vegware’s zero waste initiative The Food Waste Network is mapping all UK trade food waste collections by postcode, and offers a free matchmaking service for any UK business seeking food waste recycling. www.foodwastenetwork.org.uk
7. Vegware is a Founding Supporter of WRAP and Zero Waste Scotland’s Hospitality and Foodservice Agreement which is uniting the foodservice sector around two targets: reducing food and associated packaging waste by 5% and recycling over 70%. Vegware’s pledge to support this is the Food Waste Network – see our HaFSA blog Food Waste Stories.
8. The Vegware Community Fund gives small monthly grants to 13 non-profit sustainability projects, with a new recipient being added every quarter as Vegware grows – info here.
information, interviews and images:
Lucy Frankel, Communications Manager, Vegware
0845 643 0406 / 07906 635 139
Vegware Ltd is the UK’s first and only completely compostable food packaging company. The multiple award-winning firm specialises in the development, manufacture and distribution of compostable packaging for food service. Vegware’s Food Waste Network matchmakes any UK business with food and used Vegware packaging from caterers, organically recycling it to create fertiliser and renewable energy. Vegware invests in product development and has brought many compostable innovations to market, including hot cup lids, double wall cups, high-heat cutlery and soup containers.
Clients range from the UK’s biggest contract caterers and food distributors through to UK government offices, NHS units and independent artisan delis and cafes. Vegware is owned and managed by its founders. It is based in Edinburgh and distributes out of London, shipping to all over the UK, EU and beyond. The company has operational bases in North America (Vegware US), South Africa and Australia, with Europe-wide distribution from Iceland to Portugal.
Vegware Ltd is registered in Scotland, company number SC331521 at Canalside House, 43-45 Polwarth Crescent, Edinburgh, EH11 1HS. Visit www.vegware.com for the full catalogue and further information.