A consumer marketing campaign aimed at raising the profile of Aberdeenshire in Frankfurt and surrounding area has been hailed a success after resulting in over 40% more web visits than anticipated and generating almost 5,000 competition entries.
The campaign – run by VisitScotland, in partnership with Aberdeenshire Council and Lufthansa – used bespoke Aberdeenshire video footage, including aerial shots, as a core element, as this had the best potential to show off the different facets of the region to create lasting, inspiring impressions and a desire for people to visit.
The timescale of 20 January to 13 April was chosen in line with the traditional holiday planning period on the German market. The campaign’s target was for 17,000 web visits, but 23,755 were achieved and visitors to the website browsed inspirational content on the region, including touring itinerary suggestions, the new digi-guide and video footage. The competition prize includes flights to Aberdeen with Lufthansa and the winners will travel to the region in October.
VisitScotland Regional Partnerships Director, Philip Smith, said: “These are very encouraging results from this joint consumer marketing campaign and we would hope that these figures convert into visitors to Aberdeen City and Shire in the coming months and years.
“Partnership marketing activity is proving invaluable in positioning the region as great destination within key markets like Germany. Scottish tourism has significant potential for growth and it is crucial we continue to work together with partners to promote the region as a year-round destination.
“As Scotland welcomes the world this year, with a series of global events including The Ryder Cup, the Glasgow Commonwealth Games and the Year of Homecoming Scotland 2014, it is vital that we show off as much of our fantastic country as we can which, in turn, will act as a springboard for tourism success in coming years.”
Peter Argyle, Chairman of Aberdeenshire Council's Infrastructure Services Committee, said: "With regular flights between Aberdeen and Germany, we hope people will be impressed by what they see and hear about our beautiful area.
"We've been pleased to work with VisitScotland and Lufthansa to show off what we have to offer visitors and we hope they will be inspired to come here by the creative content which was produced, enjoy Aberdeenshire and then go home and tell everyone they know about what a welcoming and interesting place this is."
The campaign promoted the diversity of the landscape, stunning scenery, unique assets of the region – including the Castle Trail, whisky, land and seascapes, wildlife, food and drink. Aberdeen benefits from three flights per day from Frankfurt with Lufthansa and it is hoped the strength of the campaign will attract leisure bookings, highlight Homecoming Scotland 2014 and raise awareness of the direct access to Aberdeenshire from Frankfurt with Lufthansa.
As well as being shown online, the video footage was shown outdoors on digital information screens in more than 36 tube stations in and around Frankfurt, including the airport, with an estimated reach of 1.9m people.
The awareness campaign also featured a half-page advert with video, e-newsletters and banners via online media channels, including YouTube and Facebook. A folded insert also went into the Frankfurter Allgemeine Sonntagszeitung on 23 March and into the Saturday edition of regionally-targeted newspapers in Frankfurt on 29 March, which had a total overall reach of 145,000.
This comprised an area map, information on what to see and do in Aberdeen City, the countryside, Royal Deeside, the Banffshire Coast and Cairngorms National Park as well as the Castle Trail, Coastal Trail, Malt Whisky Trail, outdoor activities, Homecoming Scotland 2014 and highlighted events in Aberdeenshire, as well as how to get to the region.
Notes to Editors:
- Follow us on twitter: @visitscotnews
- VisitScotland is Scotland’s national tourism organisation. Its core purpose is to maximise the economic benefit of tourism to Scotland.
- The organisation has three key roles:
- To market Scotland to all parts of the world to attract visitors
- To provide information – and inspiration – to visitors and potential visitors so they get the best out of a visit to Scotland
- To provide quality assurance to visitors and quality advice to the industry and partners to help the industry meet and strive to exceed customer expectations
- VisitScotland works together with tourism businesses to make tourism a success for everyone and ensure the industry continues to grow.
- The organisation employs 700 people and has offices and VisitScotland Information Centres across Scotland.
- 2014 is the year Scotland welcomes the world, when it hosts the Glasgow Commonwealth Games, the Ryder Cup at Gleneagles and more than 800 Homecoming events throughout the country.For more information on Homecoming Scotland 2014, go to www.visitscotland.com
- The VisitScotland Information Centre network is a unique face-to-face channel engaging with around five million visitors and locals each year. Everyone who uses a VisitScotland Information Centre goes on to spend an additional £5.35, generating over £24 million for Scotland’s economy.
- According to a recent Deloitte study, tourism employs 270,000 people in Scotland in 20,000 diverse businesses. The same study calculates that the industry contributes £11 billion annually (direct and indirect impact, including day visits) and supports around 10 per cent of employment in Scotland. Almost 16 million tourists take overnight trips to Scotland.
- Where possible, a Gaelic speaker will be made available for broadcast interviews on request (Far an tèid iarraidh, agus far am bheil sin nar comas, bruidhinnidh neach le Gàidhlig aig agallamh)
- For holiday information on Scotland go to www.visitscotland.com
- For information about business tourism in Scotland go to www.conventionscotland.com
- For more information on VisitScotland’s annual review please go to www.visitscotland.org/about_us/our_focus/annual_report.aspx