A number of locations in Aberdeenshire where visitors and locals alike can enjoy a Brilliant Moment are to be showcased in a new one-minute advert to be screened on STV.
The advert, which will be broadcast Scotland-wide between June 4 and 11, shows the Mackinlay-Vich family from Edinburgh visiting a number of attractions in Aberdeenshire – an area of Scotland that they hadn’t previously visited and which they now plan to return to.
These included the Museum of Scottish Lighthouses in Fraserburgh, Macduff Marine Aquarium, RSPB Troup Head Reserve, home to the only mainland gannet colony in Scotland; Crathes Castle and grounds and Go Ape at Crathes Castle, mountain biking near Banchory, Dunnottar Castle at Stonehaven (which included seeing dolphins off the coast) and eating out at Buchanan’s Restaurant at Woodend Barn.
Filming for the advert took place over the weekend of May 24 and 25 and Aberdeenshire and its coastal and in-land attractions are shown off to their very best.
It will be shown at a variety of different times each day, including during Coronation Street, the ITV lunchtime news and during the final of Britain’s Got Talent on Saturday evening (7 June).
Lindsay Mackinlay said: “A holiday to Aberdeenshire has been long overdue and I confess we were a bit embarrassed that we had hardly explored the area before during our holidays in Scotland.
“We really didn’t know what to expect, which made the trip fun too. We had a great time and really wanted to stay for a bit longer! We have some unfinished business up there - namely to visit some of the stunning beaches we saw in the distance!”
Philip Smith, VisitScotland Regional Director, said: “This fantastic advert showcases everything that is great about Aberdeenshire and why people should visit, using a number of the region’s greatest assets. The Brilliant Moments campaign flags Scotland up as a must-visit holiday destination but it’s also about Scots enjoying events right on their doorstep.
“The advert is the culmination of an extensive spring/summer campaign which has featured a mix of communication channels, including national print, radio and online advertising and highlights the excellent partnership between VisitScotland, Aberdeenshire Council and the regional Destination Management Organisations.”
Aberdeenshire Council's Provost, Jill Webster, said: “In Aberdeenshire you really will find the very best of Scotland. From award-winning beaches and serene stately homes to the hustle and bustle of beautiful seaside towns and exciting activities for kids, there is something for everyone.
“We are excited to be working with VisitScotland to highlight some of Aberdeenshire’s fantastic assets and encourage more visitors to experience everything we have to offer."
The £5.3 million VisitScotland Brilliant Moments marketing campaign was launched in November by First Minister Alex Salmond in Edinburgh and includes a £3 million investment in TV involving ‘real’ people. It is a multi-touch campaign and includes extensive marketing, advertising and PR.
Brilliant Moments replaces the VisitScotland ‘Surprise Yourself’ campaign which has been running for almost three years. Brilliant Moments focuses on the global events taking place in Scotland in 2014, as well as demonstrating the friendliness and welcoming nature of people living in Scotland, through the sharing of their personal adventures and experiences.
The video can be viewed at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsYopc2YiGg&feature=youtu.be
For further information contact:
(Mon-Wed) Kim Walton
Regional Corporate Press Officer - North
Tel: 01224 269187
Mob: 07805 802508
(Wed-Fri) Lorna MacLennan
Regional Corporate Press Officer – North
Tel: 01463 244171
Mob: 07785 515469
Notes to Editors:
- Follow us on twitter: @visitscotnews
- VisitScotland is Scotland’s national tourism organisation. Its core purpose is to maximise the economic benefit of tourism to Scotland.
- The organisation has three key roles:
- To market Scotland to all parts of the world to attract visitors
- To provide information – and inspiration – to visitors and potential visitors so they get the best out of a visit to Scotland
- To provide quality assurance to visitors and quality advice to the industry and partners to help the industry meet and strive to exceed customer expectations
- VisitScotland works together with tourism businesses to make tourism a success for everyone and ensure the industry continues to grow.
- The organisation employs 700 people and has offices and VisitScotland Information Centres across Scotland.
- 2014 is the year Scotland welcomes the world, when it hosts the Glasgow Commonwealth Games, the Ryder Cup at Gleneagles and more than 800 Homecoming events throughout the country.For more information on Homecoming Scotland 2014, go to www.visitscotland.com
- The VisitScotland Information Centre network is a unique face-to-face channel engaging with around five million visitors and locals each year. Everyone who uses a VisitScotland Information Centre goes on to spend an additional £5.35, generating over £24 million for Scotland’s economy.
- According to a recent Deloitte study, tourism employs 270,000 people in Scotland in 20,000 diverse businesses. The same study calculates that the industry contributes £11 billion annually (direct and indirect impact, including day visits) and supports around 10 per cent of employment in Scotland. Almost 16 million tourists take overnight trips to Scotland.
- For VisitScotland’s press releases go to http://www.visitscotland.org/media_centre.aspx, tourism statistics and frequently asked questions go to http://www.visitscotland.org/
- Where possible, a Gaelic speaker will be made available for broadcast interviews on request (Far an tèid iarraidh, agus far am bheil sin nar comas, bruidhinnidh neach le Gàidhlig aig agallamh)
- For holiday information on Scotland go to www.visitscotland.com
- For information about business tourism in Scotland go to www.conventionscotland.com
- For more information on VisitScotland’s annual review please go to www.visitscotland.org/about_us/our_focus/annual_report.aspx