Tesco has this week launched the first of its new “Buy One, Get One Free Later” deals helping customers across the country take advantage of fantastic deals and cut down waste.
Over the next two weeks customers choosing pineapple, melon, salad and lettuce offers can claim their free product the following week.
Lucy Neville-Rolfe, Tesco Executive Director said, “Customers really like our Buy One Get One Free deals but feedback shows smaller households sometimes can't use the free product before its use by date. Now we're giving customers the flexibility to take advantage of the great value offer by claiming their free product the following week instead. As well as giving our customers a flexible new offer, we're helping them to cut food waste. Together we've already made great progress on reducing packaging waste, encouraging reuse carrier of bags and recycling. Last year Tesco pledged not to send any waste to landfill and customers tell us they want to do their bit too. ”
The trial promotion will include pineapple chunks and melon this week and salad and lettuce next week in selected UK stores. At the end of the trial, customer feedback will determine how the offer is used in the future
Notes to editors
• Sir Terry Leahy announced our intention to launch “Buy one, Get one Free Later” on 16 October 2009 at a conference of the Sustainable Consumption Institute.
• Customers buying one of the featured products on special offer will be given a voucher at the till. They can then use this voucher to get another pack of the product the following week.
• Buy one, get one free later is just one of the many type of promotions we offer in store, including 3 for £10 on fresh meat, half price offers and round pound offers.
• Since August 2006 , when we started rewarding customers who reuse their bags, our customers are now using more than 50% fewer carrier bags than they did in August 2006.
• We have recycling centres at 600 of our larger stores and we help customers recycle approximately 200,000 tonnes in a year.