Companiesandmarkets.com

Type 2 diabetes market to hit 327 million prevalent cases by 2022

Press Release   •   Jun 24, 2013 11:40 BST

Diagnosed prevalent cases within the type 2 diabetes market reached over 186 million in 2012, with 154.94 million diagnosed prevalent cases in the US, India and China combined.

Diagnosed prevalent cases of type 2 diabetes in the 10MM are expected to grow by 7.57% annually, reaching a total of 327.16 million cases by 2022.

Type 2 diabetes, formerly known as non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitus or adult-onset diabetes mellitus, is a chronic disorder of glucose equilibrium and results from the body's inability to make use of available insulin along with relative insulin deficiency (WHO, 2013).

Type 2 diabetes constitutes approximately 90% of all diabetes cases around the world, with older age, family history of diabetes, obesity and physical inactivity being the major causes; type 1 diabetes and gestational diabetes constitute the remaining 10% of the cases (Camacho et al., 2007).

Type 2 diabetes is initially managed by increasing exercise and dietary modification. If blood glucose levels are not adequately lowered by these measures, medications such as metformin or insulin may be needed. In those on insulin, there is typically the requirement to routinely check blood sugar levels.

Although more than 40 diabetes therapeutics are approved for type 2 diabetes, there are high levels of unmet need, creating opportunities for companies in the secondary and tertiary treatment segments that address such complications as cardiovascular disease, peripheral neuropathy, and blindness.

The biggest growth in market share of all types of drugs used to treat type 2 diabetes will be seen for the dipeptidyl peptidase (DPP)-IV inhibitors and glucagon-like peptide (GLP)-1 analogues, whose combined market share in the US, UK, France, Germany, Italy, Spain and Japan will increase from 20% in 2010 to 47% by 2020.

Merck & Co's Januvia (sitagliptin), which currently dominates the DPP-IV inhibitor class, will consolidate this leading position, while other DPP-IV inhibitors will struggle because of their lack of clinical advantages over Januvia.

Diabetes is one of the most common non-communicable diseases worldwide and is an escalating public health problem globally, with an estimated 347 million people living with diabetes worldwide. Globally, the incidence and prevalence of diabetes are expected to continue to increase due to various factors, such as population growth, aging, urbanisation, and the increasing prevalence of risk factors like obesity, unhealthy dietary habits and physical inactivity.

For more information on the type 2 diabetes market, see the latest research: Type 2 Diabetes Market

Follow us on Twitter @CandMResearch

Companiesandmarkets.com issues news updates and report summaries covering all major industries and sectors. The service provides additional client monitoring and timely alerts to breaking industry and sector news leading the day's business headlines. News articles, written by our staff, contain additional analyst insight, providing value added insight for our readers. News updates and real-time alerts on newly-released market reports are also available from our Facebook page, Twitter feed @CandMResearch and RSS links. We also welcome inquiries from business journalists and the news media.