Ten London companies with products ranging from grains and pulses to "Cupcakes in a Jar" are exhibiting at Gulfood, the Middle East’s largest food, drink and hospitality showcase with help from UK Trade & Investment London.
The unique "Cupcakes in a Jar" to be shown by Croydon-based exhibitor G Desserts are handmade using only the finest ingredients, sourced mainly from local and regional UK producers, and are free from additives and preservatives. The handy glass jars in which the cupcakes are displayed can be reused or recycled.
Company founder Gillian Boateng is in no doubt as to what exhibiting on the UKTI stand means for G Desserts. She said: “This is such a brilliant opportunity to show our products to an international audience. I understand that buyers are attending not just from the Gulf States and the wider Middle East, but from even further afield.
"The support we have received from UKTI London means that it is actually cheaper for us to exhibit at Gulfood than it would have been to attend an event at home on our own. Without this backing, we probably would not be exhibiting there."
Food and Drink represents the largest manufacturing sector in the UK, employing more than 500,000 people. Despite the main UK food export markets being mature markets such as the USA and Europe, the Gulf States are opening up some excellent opportunities for exporters.
Rob Furse, UKTI International Trade Adviser, said: "London companies really benefit from attending this exhibition. As well as buyers attending from markets as far apart as Turkey and India, Gulfood provides a channel to buyers in the UAE, which imports over 80 per cent of its food products. Of these, around 50 per cent are re-exported to Gulf Co-operation Council countries, the Indian subcontinent and Eastern Africa, meaning companies can cast their net far and wide."
The participating companies are:
* Andronicas Coffee Co Ltd - roasters of some of the world’s finest coffees
* Camellia's Tea House - a speciality tea company
* Devnaa - award-winning Indian inspired confectionery
* Tazaki Foods Ltd – authentic Japanese products
* Maritime Foods – salad dressings and toppings
* G Desserts – handmade cupcakes in jars
* Commodities Exchange Ltd – food commodities in bulk
* Chateau Rouge - collection of single-estate leaf teas
* Artisan Foods - suppliers of the finest quality foods
* Mahi Fine Foods - peri peri; hot pepper & sweet chilli sauces; and marinades.
* We are the world's ninth largest producer of agricultural goods (according to UN's Food and Agriculture Organisation).
* UKTI is helping hundreds of food and drink exporters every year. 30% more than 7,000 food and drink firms in the UK export.
* UKTI provides up to £1,800 in Tradeshow Access Programme (TAP) grants for firms to attend 44 food, drink, agriculture and horticulture shows a year e.g. Gulfood in Dubai, the Summer Fancy Food Fair in New York, but also Hannover’s Potato Europe and the Royal Show in South Africa.
*The UK’s food and drink exports rose in 2009 to £14 billion (ONS), at a time when world trade dropped by 12% according to IMF figures.
*This is about £2 billion – or 19% - more than pre-credit crunch in 2007, when exports were £11.7 billion.
The current top 10 destinations for food and drink exports are:
IRISH REPUBLIC 2,318.8
Notes to editors
1. UK Trade & Investment (UKTI) is the Government department that helps UK-based companies succeed in the global economy. We also help overseas companies bring their high quality investment to the UK’s economy – acknowledged as Europe’s best place from which to succeed in global business. UKTI offers expertise and contacts through its extensive network of specialists in the UK, and in British embassies and other diplomatic offices around the world. We provide companies with the tools they require to be competitive on the world stage.
2. For more information on UKTI, visit www.ukti.gov.uk or telephone +44 (0)20 7215 8000. For latest press releases, visit the online newsroom at www.ukti.gov.uk/media.You can also keep in touch with developments at UKTI through www.blog.ukti.gov.uk www.twitter.com/ukti andwww.flickr.com/photos/tags/ukti
3. UKTI’s London regional team is dedicated to increasing the competitiveness of SMEs in the capital through international sales development. A team of International Trade Advisers, part-financed by the European Union, delivers tailored help to businesses who are either exporting for the first time or looking to enter new markets.
The team can be reached at: 020 7234 3000; email@example.com
Phone: For enquiries please contact the issuing dept