UK Trade & Investment (UKTI) London is assembling a team of technology market experts at an event on 6 December to demonstrate the range of business opportunities for UK companies in the USA and Canada.
For technology firms looking to launch themselves in North America, the event at the London Stock Exchange provides a unique chance, in one place, to tap into the knowledge of UKTI sector specialists based in New York, Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, and Toronto.
The ICT sector is one of the biggest wealth creators in the UK, and with economic prospects improving in the USA – the UK’s largest export market – it is a good time for our ICT companies to approach this important market.
The assembled specialists will help firms determine where they should focus their efforts in such a diverse field. In addition, Alastair Mitchell, co-founder and CEO of collaboration software firm Huddle, will provide a first-hand account of how, with assistance from UKTI, the company successfully established its San Francisco office and expanded into the US market.
“At Huddle, we’ve always believed that European start-ups can make it on the global stage and our mantra is ‘go big or go home’,” said Alastair Mitchell. “Our move into the US market was the next stage of Huddle’s growth. However, we had to ensure that by the time we opened our office there, we had a good network of contacts in place and knew exactly what was required in terms of trading and hiring in the US. I’ll be sharing some of the lessons we learnt along the way at the event.”
In addition to Huddle, Broadbean Technology, currently ranked the 8th-fastest-growing technology company in the UK (Deloitte Fast 50), will share its experience of the challenges faced by a London-based company entering the US market, and offer tips on how to tackle them.
There will also be a chance for companies to discuss their prospects in North America at one-to-one meetings with UKTI’s industry experts, including overseas staff and UK-based International Trade Advisers.
The event will consider the following emerging technologies and sectors of particular growth:
· mobile computing, SaaS (software as a service), and applications
· web trends, analytics and social media
· cloud computing and cloud programming
· IT security
· business intelligence and analytics
· cleantech and renewables
· e-health, health 2.0, biotech and nanotechnology
· embedded systems
For more information, and to book your place at the event, contact Jenny Singh: tel: 020 7234 3005; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes to editors
1. The North American Technologies Market: Growth Sectors and Opportunities event takes place on Monday, 6 December 2010, from 09.30 to 13.00, at the London Stock Exchange, 10 Paternoster Square, London EC4M 7LS. The event will be followed by lunch and one-to-one meetings with UKTI experts, by appointment only, until 15.00.
For more information, contact: Jenny Singh, UKTI London: tel: 020 7234 3005; e-mail: email@example.com
2. UKTI Sector Specialists attending:
· Helen Moore, Vice Consul, San Francisco, Sector Lead (Software)
· Matthew Whiteley, Vice Consul, Los Angeles, Sector Lead (Electronics & Communications)
· Patricia Young, Vice Consul, New York, Sector Lead (ICT)
· David Hughson, Vice Consul, Boston (Telecoms, Electronics)
· Rob McNeill, Vice Consul, Chicago (ICT)
· Gilda Carbone, Trade Officer Toronto (ICT)
UKTI International Trade Advisers
· Ian Paterson (ICT), UKTI London
· Nicola Bridgett (Electronics, IP, Software & Apps), UKTI London
· Keith Moses (Content and Media), UKTI London
· Guy Nelmes (ICT) UKTI South East
3. UK Trade & Investment (UKTI) is the Government department that helps UK-based companies succeed in the global economy. We also help overseas companies bring their high quality investment to the UK’s economy – acknowledged as Europe’s best place from which to succeed in global business. UKTI offers expertise and contacts through its extensive network of specialists in the UK, and in British embassies and other diplomatic offices around the world. We provide companies with the tools they require to be competitive on the world stage.
For more information on UKTI, visit www.ukti.gov.uk or telephone +44 (0)20 7215 8000. For latest press releases, visit the online newsroom at www.ukti.gov.uk/media You can also keep in touch with developments at UKTI through www.blog.ukti.gov.uk www.twitter.com/ukti and www.flickr.com/photos/tags/ukti
4. UKTI’s London regional team is dedicated to increasing the competitiveness of SMEs in the capital through international sales development. A team of International Trade Advisers, part-financed by the European Union, delivers tailored help to businesses who are either exporting for the first time or looking to enter new markets.
The team can be reached at: 020 7234 3000; firstname.lastname@example.org
Project part-financed by the European Union
Phone: For enquiries please contact the issuing dept