The Minister for Trade, Investment and Small Business today opened nominations for an awards programme honouring London-based businesses with the X-port factor.
The London Export Awards 2010, which is supported by the Mayor of London and sponsored by Barclays Bank, celebrates the entrepreneurial spirit and achievements of the capital’s exporters. The awards will also highlight the positive contributions that these businesses have made to the capital’s economy.
Lord Davies of Absersoch, Minister for Trade, Investment and Small Business, said:
“There has never been a better time for exporters to raise their game, stay ahead of the competition and to take their businesses to the world.
“Businesses that trade internationally are more resilient and innovative. These awards demonstrate the impact that can be made to a company’s revenue and mindset when they compete in the global business arena.”
The Mayor of London, Boris Johnson, said:
"The capital's exporters are vital to supporting London's economy through the current downturn, as well as creating the new markets that will help it prosper in future. I want these awards not just to recognise success, but to show us all the tricks of the trade, and inspire businesses across the city to look over the horizon of the domestic market towards the huge opportunities that exist around the globe."
Vivek Ramachandran, Head of Cash and Trade, Barclays, said:
“For the UK’s economic recovery to be sustainable, it has to be export led. Banks, business groups, Government and businesses themselves should be nurturing viable exporting propositions wherever they arise.
“These awards can and must add fuel to the exporting fire.”
The awards are open to all exporters in the capital. Each business or entrepreneur can register in one of the following categories:
· London’s Advanced Engineering Exporter of the Year
· London’s Creative Industries Exporter of the Year
· London’s Financial & Business Exporter of the Year
· London’s Life Sciences Exporter of the Year
· London’s Technology Exporter of the Year
· London’s Young Exporter of the Year (company owners under the age of 30)
All nominees will also be automatically entered into the following two special categories:
· London’s Best Newcomer to Export
· London’s Outstanding Exporter of the Year
To nominate your company, or for more information, please log on to: http://londonevents.ukti.gov.uk/awards
Nominations will close on 29 January 2010 at 12 pm.
The winners will be revealed at an awards ceremony on 10 February 2010.
London’s leading export destinations include the USA, Switzerland, India, Belgium, the Republic of Ireland, France, Netherlands, Germany, Hong Kong and Italy.
UK Trade & Investment (UKTI) had a record year in 2008/9, helping 30% more companies, and generating £3.6 billion in additional profit for its customers. Over 3,700 of the companies helped were from London.
UKTI’s advisers around the country and abroad can help UK businesses to decide if they are ready for export, investigate markets for them, find potential business partners, provide grants for firms to go overseas and support businesses once they are there.
For more information about how UKTI can help businesses to expand internationally, visit www.uktradeinvest.gov.uk.
For more information contact Rosetta Buahin in UK Trade & Investment Press Office on 020 7215 8530 firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes to editors
1. UK Trade & Investment (UKTI) is the government organisation that helps UK-based companies succeed in the global economy. We also help overseas companies bring their high quality investment to the UK’s economy – acknowledged as Europe’s best place from which to succeed in global business. UKTI offers expertise and contacts through its extensive network of specialists in the UK, and in British embassies and other diplomatic offices around the world. We provide companies with the tools they require to be competitive on the world stage.
2. For more information visit: www.uktradeinvest.gov.uk | www.youtube.com/UKTIWeb | http://blog.ukti.gov.uk | www.flickr.com/ukti | http://twitter.com/ukti
3. UKTI’s London regional team is dedicated to increasing the competitiveness of SMEs in the capital through international sales development. A team of International Trade Advisers delivers tailored help to businesses who are either exporting for the first time or looking to enter new markets.
The team can be reached at: 020 7234 3000; email@example.com
Phone: For enquiries please contact the above department