In 2012 the United Kingdom savoury snacks market continued to be led by Walkers Snack Foods Ltd, which registered a 29% value share. Its leading brand, Walkers, led the category overall with a 17% share. Second-ranked KP Foods Ltd registered a slight increase in value share in 2012 to result in a 10% share in 2012. This was achieved mainly through the strong performance of its McCoy's brand. Both Walkers and McCoy's benefited from intense involvement in retailers promotions and advertisements on mainstream media.
The cocooning trend, started as a result of the economic crisis, is helping to sustain the growth of sweet and savoury snacks, which saw 7% current value growth in 2012. An eventful year that saw the Queen's Diamond Jubilee, the Euro 2012 and the Olympics contributed to the growth of the category as more people entertained at home with friends and family to celebrate and to watch the events on TV.
The effects of the economic crisis are expected to continue to be felt by consumers over the forecast period, at least until 2014/2015. As a result, the sweet and savoury snacks category is set to continue to benefit from the cocooning trend and category sales are expected to rise at a constant value CAGR of 4%.
- The sweet and savoury snacks category grows by 7% in value terms and 4% in volume terms in 2012
- The cocooning trend continues to be the main factor driving up the value of the category in 2012
- Tortilla/corn chips, popcorn and pretzels are the most dynamic categories, with value growth of 15%, 10% and 10% respectively in 2012
- Average unit price rises due to increasing commodity prices; however, the success of large packs for sharing is limiting the rise
- Walkers Snack Foods Ltd continues to lead the sweet and savoury snacks category but smaller brands that offer a more premium product are gaining a foothold
- The sweet and savoury snacks category is expected to see constant value sales rise at a 4% CAGR over the forecast period, while volume sales rise at a 3% CAGR
For more information on the United Kingdom savoury snacks market, please click here: United Kingdom savoury snacks market
Companiesandmarkets.com issues news updates and report summaries covering all major industries and sectors. The service provides additional client monitoring and timely alerts to breaking industry and sector news leading the day's business headlines. News articles, written by our staff, contain additional analyst insight, providing value added insight for our readers. News updates and real-time alerts on newly-released market reports are also available from our Facebook page, Twitter feed @CandMResearch and RSS links. We also welcome inquiries from business journalists and the news media.