Whirlpool continued to dominate the United States dishwashers market in 2012, with a 38% volume share. Private label brand Kenmore continued to bolster the company share of Sears Holdings, maintaining a 19% share of sales of dishwashers. General Electric was third, holding a 16% share, whilst Electrolux Home Products North America held a 15% share.
In connection with the sterilisation and sanitation trend is the rise in dishwashers with stainless steel interiors. Whilst this trend is seen mostly in higher-end, premium dishwashers, it is gaining prominence, and has ubiquitous potential as the alternative to traditional plastic interiors. Stainless steel is said to be more sanitary, flexible and reduces the amount of bacteria post-wash. This trend seems to be affirmed by lower and mid-tier models, the interiors of which are finished to look like stainless steel, but are in fact plastic.
Dishwashers is expected to see recovery in both volume and value terms in the forecast period, with a CAGR of 3% in volume terms to reach 6.6 million units. Value sales are expected to increase by a CAGR of 4% in constant terms through to 2017, to reach US$3.5 billion.
Volume sales of dishwashers remain flat in 2012, maintaining sales of
5.6 million units. Current value sales also remain relatively flat, with
only a negligible increase, to bring retail sales to US$2.9 billion
- Slow economic growth, moderate housing starts and continued high unemployment depress sales of dishwashers in 2012
- Built-in dishwashers begins to show signs of recovery in 2012. Although it maintains flat volume sales at 5.5 million units, it fends off the slow recovery in the economy to prevent another sag in sales. Current value sales increase slightly in built-in dishwashers, bringing retail sales up to US$2.9 billion
- Dishwasher prices remain stable across all categories, bringing the average unit price to US$520
- Kenmore remains the brand leader in dishwashers in 2012, but Whirlpool dishwashers gain some traction, making it a close second in terms of brand share. Korean brands such as LG, Samsung and Sweden‟s Electrolux continue to grow at a steady pace
- As the economy begins to show signs of consistent growth and housing starts begin to pick up, dishwashers is expected to show a healthy rebound in the forecast period, with a volume CAGR of 3% through to 2017
For more information on the United States dishwashers market, please click here: United States dishwashers market
Companiesandmarkets.com issues news updates and report summaries covering all major industries and sectors. The service provides additional client monitoring and timely alerts to breaking industry and sector news leading the day's business headlines. News articles, written by our staff, contain additional analyst insight, providing value added insight for our readers. News updates and real-time alerts on newly-released market reports are also available from our Facebook page, Twitter feed @CandMResearch and RSS links. We also welcome inquiries from business journalists and the news media.