Eco packaging pioneers Vegware have launched the first completely compostable domed lid for ice cream. The lid offers clear presentation for frozen treats on the go, without costing the earth. Made from cornstarch, it has a carbon footprint 77% lower than oil-based plastic. Being compostable, it is suitable for food waste recycling after use. It is available in two sizes, to fit Vegware’s 8 to 32oz containers.
This clear domed lid transforms Vegware’s compostable soup containers – another market first – into ice cream containers. The award-winning Edinburgh manufacturer launched its innovative soup containers with a matching compostable heat-resistant flat lid in 2010 but discovered many customers used them for frozen desserts. Sales Director Dominic Marjoram explains: “We created it with soup in mind, but found it was right on-trend for the frozen yoghurt boom. So we have responded to demand, creating a compostable clear lid with plenty of room for piles of tasty toppings. We have helped many new outlets create custom-branded containers, like Samba Swirl in London and Frisky in central Edinburgh.”
The lids are perfect for creative ice cream toppings, giving plenty of space to display piles of treats without unsightly squashing. The 90mm lid fits Vegware’s 8oz container, and the 115mm fits the 12, 16 and 32oz soup / ice-cream containers.
Being completely compostable, it can be organically recycled together with food waste, creating biofertiliser in under 12 weeks. This is particularly significant given the aim of WRAP’s newly-launched hospitality and foodservice agreement, which aims to send more than 70% of food and packaging waste to food waste recycling by 2015. Vegware’s Food Waste Network helps matchmake any UK business with its ideal food waste recycler, allowing businesses to save money by sending zero waste to landfill.
Vegware are pioneers in eco food packaging and have proved to be a real success story, increasing their turnover tenfold since 2008-09. The Edinburgh-based SME has already won three awards so far in 2012 for their innovative eco packaging, and a motion has been launched to the Scottish Parliament congratulating them on their achievements. A recent listing with Brakes makes Vegware more accessible to caterers nationwide. Vegware are unique in backing their eco-claims with third party compostability certification for their full range of catering disposables.
High res product image here.
Product info here.
Notes to Editors
- Vegware is the UK’s first and only completely compostable food packaging company. Its full range of plastic-free catering disposables are made from recycled or annually renewable sustainable materials, and have third-party certification.
- Vegware and its Food Waste Network offer a zero waste food packaging solution, helping all businesses divert waste from landfill.
- The manufacture of Vegware’s corn starch bioplastic (PLA) products emits 77% less carbon dioxide than standard plastic (PET).
- Vegware’s Eco Audits calculate the environmental benefit of each order, quantifying the carbon and virgin materials saved by using eco packaging, as well as the potential landfill diversion. In 2011 all Vegware’s UK customers saved 260 tonnes of carbon.
- Vegware supports grassroots sustainability projects with regular financial grants through the Vegware Community Fund.
- Vegware’s awards in 2012 so far include; Green Company of the year at the Edinburgh Chamber of Commerce awards, an award for Innovation in Packaging at the Footprint awards and a BCE Award for Environmental Leadership.
Vegware Ltd is the UK’s first and only completely compostable food packaging company. The award-winning firm specialises in the development, manufacture and distribution of compostable packaging for food service. Vegware’s Food Waste Network matchmakes any UK business with food and used Vegware packaging from caterers, recycling it into topsoil, biogas or compost. Vegware invests in product development and has brought many compostable innovations to market, including hot cup lids, double wall cups, high-heat cutlery and soup containers.
Clients include Compass Group, Aramark, 3663 and Brakes as well as UK government offices and NHS units. Vegware is owned and managed by its founders. It is based in Edinburgh and distributes out of London, shipping to all over the UK, EU and beyond. The company's products are distributed in North America (Vegware US), Ireland, Benelux and South Africa. Visit www.vegware.com for the full catalogue and further information.
Further information and images:
0845 643 0406 / 07906 635 139
High-res product images can be downloaded from our dropbox gallery – high-res images do NOT have _800x at the end of the file name.
Vegware is a pioneer in the development and manufacture of eco friendly catering disposables and food packaging. Our products are stylish, functional, economic and sustainable. The Vegware range spans cutlery through to tableware, napkins hot and cold drink cups, and takeaway packaging. Our products are represented in Europe and North America.
Vegware Ltd is registered in Scotland, company number SC331521 at Canalside House, 43-45 Polwarth Crescent, Edinburgh, EH11 1HS. Information on Vegware US, Inc can be found at www.vegware.us.